Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2013 3:53:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach]
I like FOBs.

I like lighted nocks.

I had some Nocturnals, but the plastic part of the insert was too short when FOBs were used to keep enough friction on the inside of the shaft. As a result, sometimes they would pull out when I drew the bow.

Lumenoks have a much longer plastic insert to hold them in. This is important because the FOB keeps the nock from being fully inserted into the shaft.

Turns out the aluminum or carbon arrow shaft is used to make an electrical contact to turn them on when the nock is pushed into the shaft with pressure from the string. FOBs are plastic and do not conduct electicity and therefore the small loops of wire on the top and bottom of the nock never make electrical contact from the force of the string pushing the nock against the arrow.

Solution:

Aluminum tape.

cut a small piece and place it over the nock side of the FOB.

Push into the tape to make it adhere and so you can clearly see the edges of the FOB

take a sharp knife or razor blade and trim off the excess outside the hole and inside the hole. Be careful to not cut the FOB. Don't use your wife's good $40 high end pairing knife if she is home. Mine is on a cruise for the week so I can hunt in peace.

and viola, it works, so far everytime I shot it and is easy to turn off. Just push on the FOB ever so slightly toward the nock. then push the FOB back toward the broad head and it goes off. I am talking about making it mover ever so little.

It lights as it leaves the bow as it should and stays lit. If you have a pass through, the FOB pops off and it stays lit just like you want it to so you can find it.

Over a dozen shots and it works consistantly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 8:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I just realized the nocturnals were pulling out of the shaft when I was using a non-capture drop away and the arrow was held to the shelf with  rubber thing.

I just tested them with my new QAD full capture rest and they do not pull out.

That was a waist of money and time.

I should have just gotten more  Nocturnals since the on / off has nothing to do with the shaft. The problem was with my rubber arrow holder, not the Nocturnal / FOB combination.

oh well live and learn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top