Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2012 10:08:46 PM EDT

Fuck me dead, bows and shit are expensive as fuck here.  Things are about 40% more expensive than the US...including shipping from the US.  Targets are particularly expensive here, and being a tightarse, I want to make my own to save on costs.

I don't have a ton of time, and I am fucking useless at handywork, so those awesome layered carpet targets are out of the question for now.  I don't have the time to collect random pieces of rags and plastic and other shit, so stuffed bag targets are out as well.  What I do have is old carpet.

I bought some high density foam tile squares from the local hardware shop.  They are those foam squares that you put on the floor, like tiles, in gyms and yoga places and kiddy play areas and stuff.  Bought 4x 4packs for $10 each.  Each square is about 2ftx2ft and 1cm thick, which gives me about 16cm (half a foot) of foam tile.

I intend to cut squares of carpet and layer it with the foam tiles.  I was thinking of something like:  4 layers of carpet:4 foam tiles:4carpet:4foam:4carpet:4foam:4carpet:4foam.  I would shoot into the flat side of the target, so it would have 32 layers to penetrate.

What do you all think of this?

Link Posted: 12/18/2012 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like that should work well with practice points, but not with broadheads. When I was shooting alot I made a target out of used drop ceiling tiles that I got from a local contractor. I stacked them up between 2" x 12" boards and used small cables and turnbuckles to compress the stack. This target lasted over 15 years and the most i saw any arrow penetrate was about 4". The tighter you can compress it the less penetration. i had to quit shooting about 10 years ago when I messed up my shoulder. I shot outdoor 3D in the summer and indoor 25yd. targets in the winter. I miss it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2012 4:50:15 AM EDT
[#2]

I was lazy today so I substituted the carpet for some cardboard.

Works pretty well!  The overall target is over a foot thick, and the arrows penetrate only about 5inches.

I only intend to use it to practice, since I am only new to archery.  Later when I feel that I am proficient enough, I will probably buy a broadhead target

Link Posted: 12/22/2012 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I was on archery talk and some guy made a target of strips of carpet layered about 3 ft high. Looks like it stopped everything. I'll try to find you the link when I get home.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Ive read that a burlap bag stuffed full of its clothes works very well. I intend to do that when I get the time to build it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2013 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
They are kinda hard to come by these days but one range I went to used phone books stacked up about 8 to 10 feet high.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:04:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Do y'all have hay bales down there?
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#7]
it will be a very durable target. Usually I use EVA mats and old jeans to DIY the target. It's very cheap and durable.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#8]
another option is if there is a hardware  store nearby, i used a cardboard box. bought  some cans of spray foam insulation and filled the box with the foam. it can be kinda on the pricey side depending on what size box you use. But the one I made has outlasted any target you can buy in stores. I have used it for 3 years now, and haven't had any arrows pass through it yet. If i remember correctly, a large moving box takes about 9 cans to fill it. Most of your store bought targets are the size of a medium or small moving box.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get a cardboard box and fill it full of plastic bags. Like the ones from the grocery store. It will stop an arrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top