Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2015 7:23:39 PM EDT
Cabelas had these $100 off during their door buster on Saturday, so I picked one up on a whim.

Now, I'm wondering if I should put it together and learn to shoot it (recreation) or take it back and get something serious when/if I get serious.

This is it
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the move.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#3]
24 folks have looked at the thread and no one has an opinion?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:53:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FS7] [#4]
I looked at the Raptor when I bought my second crossbow. I ultimately decided to go with the Penetrator, which as far as I can tell is the next option up.

The Penetrator is a good crossbow that's rough around the edges. It is not as smooth to cock as my Covert CX2 despite having a lower draw weight and the shot is a bit more violent. However, it is quite accurate, and it will take deer without a second thought. So I would say that not only is it a fun toy, it's more than capable of taking deer should you be so inclined. Keep in mind that I am making the assumption that the slightly smaller and lighter Raptor has similar characteristics to the Penetrator, which I think is a fair one.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:14:18 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO, you just wasted your money OP.  Barnett may have been making crossbows for a long time, but they are considered bottom tiered in terms of quality.  If you want an inexpensive crossbow the PSE Fang is the one to purchase.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the feedback - two completely opposite reviews.  

FWIW, I haven't wasted a penny since this has a 90 day return window.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:21:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FS7] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

View Quote

Honestly, it depends on how it feels to you and how well you shoot it. The Penetrator was the same price to me as the Fang and the fang felt like a toy. I don't own any PSE crossbows, but I do have a PSE compound and it's an excellent bow.

I guess I would say that an entry-level Barnett is probably on the level of a Mossberg rifle, Savage Axis, Remington 77x/78x, or something like that...you get what you pay for. They're known companies and they make some high-end rifles, but their entry-level rifles are entry-level. The same applies here.

Crossbows are not made equally by any stretch of the imagination and I think you will find that more expensive crossbows are lighter, smoother, and easier to carry. They will all take deer without a problem.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FS7:

Honestly, it depends on how it feels to you and how well you shoot it. The Penetrator was the same price to me as the Fang and the fang felt like a toy. I don't own any PSE crossbows, but I do have a PSE compound and it's an excellent bow.

I guess I would say that an entry-level Barnett is probably on the level of a Mossberg rifle, Savage Axis, Remington 77x/78x, or something like that...you get what you pay for. They're known companies and they make some high-end rifles, but their entry-level rifles are entry-level. The same applies here.

Crossbows are not made equally by any stretch of the imagination and I think you will find that more expensive crossbows are lighter, smoother, and easier to carry. They will all take deer without a problem.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FS7:
Originally Posted By D_J:

Fair enough. My only shotgun is a mossberg 500. It works. And it gets shot twice a year. Maybe.

I appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one last year. I haven't taken any deer with it yet, but I didn't mind carrying it all day while hunting last season. The scope it comes with is junk. My groups tightened up nicely when I swapped it out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Barnett crossbows made today are leaps ahead in quality than the Barnett's made a couple of years ago.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like the one I've had for a couple of years.  I've been satisfied with it, except for the stock; although I modified it and it's tolerable.  I handed it down this year and bought another cheap crossbow (centerpoint sniper 370) with a more adjustable stock.  I haven't taken game with either one, but both seem very capable.  As noted a quality scope or other sight is desirable.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 9:53:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I'd get a better crossbow. A good place to get information on various crossbows and best bang for the buck is crossbownation.com
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#13]
My .02 ...
Crossbow =. Meh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top