Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 9:30:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: USMC6177]
The title says it all.  NYS is opening bow season to Xbowers last two weeks.  I have like 700 cabelas bucks and I want to get a good solid deer killer, (package would be preferred)

I was looking at these two;
Darton Viper SS

StrykeZone 380

Anyone have suggestions or alternatives?  Also some guidance on hunting bolts and points would be appreciated

ETA

5 pm last night.  We had about 2 inches of snow so it made tracking in the dark easy.  Double lunged him at 55 yards.  He ran maybe 200 yards.  Yellow tag is last years printer stock, That's all Wal-mart had.  Also got an extra DMP in the mail Saturday for 7S.  

8 pointer with two broken tines.

Darton Viper SS
Black Eagle Executioner 22 inch bolts
Muzzy Trocar 100 grn broadheads.

This is probably the biggest deer we will see off our hunting lands this year.  Northern Catskills

ETA
Pops knocked over an 8 using the same set up
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Being totally new to crossbows, I can't tell you anything about the products in question. I have been reading up on the Carbon Express CX3 SL. Seems like a nice setup. http://www.cabelas.com/product/CARBON-EXPRESS-COVERT-CX-SL-CROSSBOW-PACKAGE/1803389.uts
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Went with the Darton.

Based on reviews and articles I read it was best buy for the current sale price
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 8:12:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By USMC6177:
Went with the Darton.

Based on reviews and articles I read it was best buy for the current sale price
View Quote

Cool, it is a nice looking setup. I got a chuckle out of the description though: "smooth, quiet, snakelike accuracy".

Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:34:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Little heavy but very accurate.  Picked up some muzzie trocars and CE bolts. Looking forward to using it this season.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 1:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: oldschoolimages] [#5]
In the market myself.

Not familiar with either of those two, however the name Strykezone is 'familiar' to me, meaning that when I was at a show in Harrisburg PA that brand was one I looked it.

ETA: Both links you posted indicate they are both SOLD OUT !!!

I am looking into ones with the reversed limbs for now.

However I may fall back to the same company that made my compound bows .... Mathews

CROSSBOWS ----> Truly the SILENT KILLERS !!!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By oldschoolimages:
In the market myself.

Not familiar with either of those two, however the name Strykezone is 'familiar' to me, meaning that when I was at a show in Harrisburg PA that brand was one I looked it.

ETA: Both links you posted indicate they are both SOLD OUT !!!

I am looking into ones with the reversed limbs for now.

However I may fall back to the same company that made my compound bows .... Mathews

CROSSBOWS ----> Truly the SILENT KILLERS !!!!
View Quote

Local places can't keep xbows stock now that NYS is having a 2 week pre rifle season.    
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#7]
If you plan on hunting with it, buy some crossbow unloading bolts.  If you spend all day in the stand with a loaded xbow, and don't get to take a shot at anything, you have three options:

1.  Shoot that $15 bolt and broadhead combo into the dirt, and destroy it.

2.  Shoot a reusable $20 unloading bolt into the dirt, and spend a few extra minutes looking for it.

3.  Shoot a $1 biodegradeable unloading bolt into the dirt, and forget about it.

4.  Try to unload your brand new $700 xbow by hand.

When I was hunting with a xbow, I used both options 2 & 3 depending on the time of day.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:19:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
If you plan on hunting with it, buy some crossbow unloading bolts.  If you spend all day in the stand with a loaded xbow, and don't get to take a shot at anything, you have three options:

2.  Shoot a reusable $20 unloading bolt into the dirt, and spend a few extra minutes looking for it.

3.  Shoot a $1 biodegradeable unloading bolt into the dirt, and forget about it.

When I was hunting with a xbow, I used both options 2 & 3 depending on the time of day.
View Quote

I bought a reusable one.

I spent all weekend shooting.  With no wind I was able to go 11 for 12 at 90 yards in a 6 inch circle from a rest.  The first shot was high and ended up going through a 2 x6 pine plank.  I was really really impressed with the performance.  I am not planning on shooting past 50 yards while hunting but color me impressed with xbows.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:15:37 AM EDT
[#9]

I bought a reusable one.

I spent all weekend shooting.  With no wind I was able to go 11 for 12 at 90 yards in a 6 inch circle from a rest.  The first shot was high and ended up going through a 2 x6 pine plank.  I was really really impressed with the performance.  I am not planning on shooting past 50 yards while hunting but color me impressed with xbows.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I bought a reusable one.

They're fun, but after two seasons with one I switched over to a compound bow.  I found it to be a little awkward/cumbersome to use in a tree stand.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#10]

They're fun, but after two seasons with one I switched over to a compound bow.  I found it to be a little awkward/cumbersome to use in a tree stand.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I bought a reusable one.

I use old school plank stands with lots of room, I could see the xbow being a hassle on small archery stands. Shit I hunted on one with a rifle and it was a challenge.  I was convinced I was going to fall and die.  bow hunters are crazy
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump with update in OP
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:29:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Drunk on crossbows.

Bought a CE Covert CX2 off amazon during black friday.  Haven't had a chance to shoot it.  Going to take time over holiday break.  I will post results.  

In general the assembly and construction of it was on par with Darton and it seems to be lighter.  Also scope is better quality and better located with regard to height.

Don't like the quiver set up and the VFG included is kinda dumb and needs to be slid on to the rail.  Did not install it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top