Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2014 8:20:31 PM EDT
My state has just decided to permit crossbow hunting for everyone. I want to get a crossbow, so that I can hunt public land while avoiding the unsafe crowd that pile into the woods for gun-deer season.

Don't need flashy or custom. Looking for basic utility. Does in the freezer; probably 20-40 yards.

Low price had me focused on Barnett Jackal and Barnett Wildcat C5. (~$300) There are 20 rave reviews for every poor one, but the poor reviews make them out to be unreliable junk that experience frequent failures.

I went to Cabela's to shoulder up a few and see what they felt like. Archery guy at Cabela's said that other bows come in for a serving or new cables, but the Barnetts, even the $1400 Barnetts are constantly in for repair, because they break. He admitted that the Barnetts shoot well, but said that they fail at inopportune times, and I won't get warranty service until after the season is over.

For the low price point he was recommending the Parker Thunder Hawk and the Wicked Ridge Warrior. ($450-550).
Parker has LOTS of complaints online. Wicked ridge seems well respected.

Long as I was up in that price range I started looking at the Excalibur Axiom recurve crossbow. ($500) They're not as compact, but seem to be more robust and easier to maintain. Brand seems well respected. The rails and honey-combed section under the rails felt like they were built from lego material. Unnerved me a little shouldering it.

Buy the time I get into a target, some bolts, a cocking rope, broadheads, string lube, whatever .... I figure it will nickle and dime me for another $150-200 no matter which bow I buy.

I was hoping I could try crossbow hunting for about $300, and it's looking like you can't play for less than $800 by the time it's done.

Input, advice and experience appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Carbon Express SLS. Small, light weight, compact which makes it great for getting through the woods. Try walking to your stand with a 2 foot wide  Excalibur crossbow getting hung up on everything. Buddy bought a Barnett 350 and is crying after he seen the Carbon Express.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Ten Point
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 7:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
For some reason Barnett bashing continues even long after issues were resolved. Some poster on one of the crossbow forums said it right when he said the guys that bought the high priced bows just hated the fact that Barnett offered some inexpensive alternatives. Just about any manufacturer has had problems and even recalls.
I bought a Recruit and have been shooting it since early spring w/o any issues at all.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 3:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DancingBear:
For some reason Barnett bashing continues even long after issues were resolved. Some poster on one of the crossbow forums said it right when he said the guys that bought the high priced bows just hated the fact that Barnett offered some inexpensive alternatives. Just about any manufacturer has had problems and even recalls.
I bought a Recruit and have been shooting it since early spring w/o any issues at all.
View Quote

i bought a $500 barnett 2 years ago.  i got it home, assembled it, and found an absolute pile of garbage.

The rail was wavy, nowhere near flat.
the serving or strings were way off center.  when cocked back, the limbs were incredibly uneven.  one was 1.5" closer to the rail than the other.  Absolute garbage product.   I returned it the next day and bought a ten point, and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The Wicked Ridge Warrior will probably be the best value for less than $500.  I've shot three in the last year with one, has yet to let me down.  Only thing I've replaced is the red dot that came with the bow.  Went with a TruGlo 4x illuminated reticle scope.

Coworker bought a Jackal last week.  I wasn't impressed with the construction, nor the included red dot.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Wicked Ridge Invader.  Worked great for me.  It's Ten Point's value line.

Get it with the attached cocking device.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top