Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2013 9:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vugger]
I have been looking at crossbows for several weeks now and I think I have enough information to ask for some suggestions. Initially, I was dead set on getting a Excalibur Matrix 380 or Ten Point Stealth SS, but after reading forum after forum, I am thinking of buying a cheaper bow. Unless I can be convinced otherwise, I am thinking a budget of $550 or less should be adequate for my needs. I would prefer not to have something that is huge and heavy. The smaller and lighter, the better.

This will be used mainly for target practice and some deer hunting. I love the reliability and simplicity of the Excalibur line of bows, but I am having some difficulty finding a lot of reviews of their bows outside of the new Matrix line. The Vortex and Exocet can be found in my price range without a scope, but is it worth it to go up to the Matrix line?

Also, I have just started looking at the Wicked Ridge line from Ten Point, but I cannot find a ton of reviews on them. Are there major differences between the Ten Point and Wicked Ridge line?

I usually purchase high end stuff, but it seems like when it comes to xbow's, there are a ton of people happy with their sub-$500 bows. If I can avoid buying an $800-$1000 bow and still be happy with some basic hunting and target shooting, I would like to save the cash.  

Any recommendations and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/11/2013 6:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been very pleased with my BCXtreme by Barnett that I purchased three months ago.

It is just a bit over your price range but when I shouldered it at the local Bass Pro, it felt the most natural of everything they had in stock.  Better than Parkers, Ten Points, Carbon Xpress, wicked ridge, etc.  It is fairly light and the crank makes it easy to repeatably cock the string in the same position every time.

http://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/Buck_Comm_Xtreme_Pkg_W_Crnk_p/ellbar78241.htm

It has been very accurate out of the box thus far.

Much more information on crossbows in general can be found at www.crossbownation.com

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 11/11/2013 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By vugger:

Also, I have just started looking at the Wicked Ridge line from Ten Point, but I cannot find a ton of reviews on them. Are there major differences between the Ten Point and Wicked Ridge line?

View Quote

I don't what differences there are, but I was very happy with my Wicked Ridge.  I got the middle of the road one, Invader I think.  It came with a scope and a cocking device.  Worked great right out of the box, and I never had any issues with it.

Link Posted: 11/20/2013 7:35:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GlockFace] [#3]
The Matrix 355 can be bought for $779 for the pkg!
www.wyverncreations.com
Best bow out there,very fast and flat shooter!
You can change your  own sring unlike compound bows.
My friend has the and axiom and likes it for a cheaper bow.
Go Excalibur! Trust me on this!
If you buy a tenpoint compound style you need
to send it back to the factory every 3yrs for new stings and cable
and they check it out for you!I paid $135 to return my Titan and cost of the tune-up!
Go Excaliber!
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at the Carbon Express SLS BEFORE you get the Ten Point Stealth. Just about the same bow in size and performance but only $499 on sale. Don't get suckered in by a name. The Excalibur is just to  dam wide for my tastes.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
FWIW, after a lot of reading on xbows I purchased a Barnett Recruit. Got good reviews, only 18" wide, and very affordable ($249 from Natchezz). Time will tell but I am impressed with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top