Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2013 7:22:26 PM EDT
I just ordered an Excalibur Matrix 380 and after witnessing the GF's stepdad sink bolts into a regular archery block over the weekend I'm left wondering what's best?

I don't want to spend $200 on an xbow specific target ..

What is available and reasonable on the wallet??
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I use compressed carpet squares laid flat on top of each other. I took some old carpet from my house the cut it into 3ft by 4ft rectangles then stacked them 4 feet high. I built a frame using 2x4's then had a friend stand on top of them when I screwed the wood top on. It has worked for the past couple of years and have not had any problems. The bolts don't get bent and there is not too much over penetration. They go into it about 3" with the canvas target stapled on to it and are not hard to pull out.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#2]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UIZWTE/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$70, Works fine w/field points and my Matrix 355... one hand easy removal.
Link Posted: 11/4/2013 7:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2013 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Rinehart 18-1 will stop them and it's good for fp and bh.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If you have a dog....save dog food bags (the woven plastic type), then turn one inside out and fill it with folded dog food bags.  When you have it packed, full and firm, close it with zip ties.

Works great with field points and you can pull the bolts out with two fingers. Not so good with broad heads.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with a Morrell's Bone Collector Double Duty Field-Point Target, rated for 400 fps. I am shooting the Matrix 405, it is doing great for me and the arrows pull out with 2 fingers
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:15:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Rhinehart 18-1 is what you seek.  It's the only target I buy for my compound bow, but will stop bolts without issue.

Expensive, but if you can shoot it out in a year you get a free one...so I get 2 for the price of one every year!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:10:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stooxie] [#8]
Another vote for the Morrell targets. I have a Yellow Jacket and it stops my 360fps arrows in just a few inches. Easy removal. Boggles my mind. I also have their tiny little crossbow discharge target and it gives the same results. Both are field tip only, FYI.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
After chipping the brick a few times to FW_wife's wrath, I'm going to try 100 grn rubber bludgeon tips that should also do the # on squirrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top