Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2012 8:11:44 PM EDT
Hey all,
    I'm trying to help a friend make a decision for her husband, she would like to buy him a crossbow for his anniversary. What's a good place to start, something in the $300-$400 range budget-wise.  Lay all your wisdom on me, brands, accessories, etc.  Any and all help would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Scott
Link Posted: 9/16/2012 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If there is an acedemy sports near you they have three decent entry level bows on sale this week.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 7:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No Academies near by, but thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I recomend something in the excalibur line.
They start a little higher than stated price range.
But well worth it for lack of maintence and reliability.

For something a little cheaper take a look at Wicked Ridge.

I own both.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Wicked Ridge Warrior after reading about 40 five star reviews on Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and Bass Pro.  Two shots and I was sighed in at 20 yards, and can make 50 yard shots with confidence.  I chrono'd my 450 grain bolts (325 bolts and 125 heads) at 301 fps, so it has more than enough ass for North American critters.  It's accurate enough that I learned the hard way to shoot at different dots with each shot, as it's easy to de-nock a bolt within 30 yards.  I paid $370 for it on sale, sans bolts and heads.  For broadheads I recommend Spitfire mechanicals as crossbows don't do so well with fixed heads.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 10:13:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAPPYO] [#5]
Originally Posted By SINGLE_SHOT:
I recomend something in the excalibur line.
They start a little higher than stated price range.
But well worth it for lack of maintence and reliability.

For something a little cheaper take a look at Wicked Ridge.

I own both.

I think a person can get a Axiom? package online at Black Bear sporting goods for $438.00

gotta agree Excaliburs are hard to beat!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top