Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2015 8:19:14 AM EDT
I'd like to build a permanent target stand for a hanging round target ~36" in diameter.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas I could use to get started?

I'm thinking about anchoring two eight foot 4x4s with a six foot cross beam and hanging the target with heavy rope. Then a stack of hay for the backstop?

TIA
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Not quite the same setup but for a backstop I used black pipe for a frame and old conveyor belt for the media. I have a deer and turkey 3D target to shoot at

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'd like to build a permanent target stand for a hanging round target ~36" in diameter.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas I could use to get started?

I'm thinking about anchoring two eight foot 4x4s with a six foot cross beam and hanging the target with heavy rope. Then a stack of hay for the backstop?

TIA
View Quote

I have had poor results with wood frames for steel, the wood got torn up from splatter, but it did take a couple of years of heavy use.

I ended up using 1" threaded gas/black pipe to hang a 2/3 size torso steel.  I used a post hole digger to get 18" below grade, put a 22" piece of pipe in the hole with the threaded end up.   Poured concrete and let cure, built my 1" frame up from there.  Same as your plan, only using a pipe frame.  Top of frame was about 6' above ground.  10 years in, still working well.

You have a clear impact area behind the target?  That hay really won't do anything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 9:58:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, thought this was for a rifle target.  n/m
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, thought this was for a rifle target.  n/m
View Quote

Ha. Np.

I have my range for lead. The archery stand if for my wife.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top