Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2014 5:08:49 PM EDT
The other day I decided to start shooting my old Bear Whitetail II again.

I've had the bow since my 13th birthday when I had managed to save up better than half of what I needed to get the bow, so my folks paid the rest for my birthday that year. I shot it off and on when I was a teenager, but never really got good at it.

But the other day I saw them setting up some arrow displays at my local Walmart and it got me to thinking about shooting that bow again. So a couple days later ended up buying some cheap $3 Allen arrows to practice with for now.

Right now I need a better sight and arrow rest. I threw on a cheap Tru-Glo sight I got for Christmas years ago and never used until today, problem is, it doesn't sit low enough and far enough to the left to get it zeroed (right now I'm shooting at roughly 20 yards). And the stock arrow rest isn't all that great.

I would also appreciate recommendations for arrows. What I have now is fine for where I'm at now, but I want better arrows for later on. Back in the day I used to buy nothing but Easton, but that was back in the early '90s (I turned 13 in 1990), and I imagine a lot has changed.

I'm kinda clueless when it comes to archery, so any other advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

Oh yeah, and a pic of my bow.

30" draw length, 60lbs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#1]
What is your draw length? Or is it even adjustable?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#2]
30" is really long. At least no one I know is that long. Imma 28
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I did a formula on a website recently (can't remember which site it was) and it said I was a 29, but for some reason, this bow feels perfectly comfortable. But then again, this is the only real bow I've shot (I had one of those toy bows with suction cup arrows when I was little ).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Draw length is going to depend on whether you are shooting with a release or not. Guys reporting short draw length are probably using a release.

My recommendation is to determine the proper spine (shaft stiffness) and get arrows properly spined for your draw weight. Then get the specs for your bow's axle-to-axle length and brace height and take measurements to insure it is tuned to those specs. An older string/cables could be stretched and out-of-spec. My bow is currently about 1/4" out of spec just from sitting since last season. Bringing it back into spec makes a huge improvement in how stable it shoots.  If you measure and find it out of spec you can learn to tune it or you can just take it to an archery shop and have them do it. It's worth the effort to get it in spec.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#5]
A 30" arrow at 60# would use 400's assuming you'll use carbons. Any of the major arrow manufacturers would serve you well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
That looks like an old school plunger/flipper style rest on it.   It was made back before mechanical releases were popular so it's meant to be shot with your fingers.  So it will probably work best to shoot it with fingers rather than a mechanical release.   The plunger is there to counter the sideways arrow spine flex that happens when shooting by fingers, so it might be detrimental and impossible to tune when using a mechanical release with it.

Also, you might have a problem trying to put a modern rest on it, because that was made before they started making shoot through risers, that are made for use with the modern rests.

Ain't nothing wrong with getting back into archery by shooting with your fingers.  That's how people used to do it back in the days before bicycle helmets and seatbelts.   Much quicker follow-up shots that way too.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine is 31.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies so far.

The arrows I bought said that they were rated for 45-70 lbs, and they're carbon, but I have no idea if they are 400s. They were cheap and will work for now, but later on I would like to get some better quality arrows.

Yes, that's a flipper type rest, and I'm just using my fingers, so I guess I'll just leave it be. It's taking a bit for my fingers to get used to it, but I'll get there.

And as far as the issues of getting this thing zeroed, I will be adding a peep sight to the string. Hopefully that will help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top