Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2013 5:03:20 PM EDT
A little background info on me and my archery knowledge first.

I own a Jennings buck master lite that I bought new in 97. I was into hunting pretty heavy and shot that well back in the day.  I hadn't shot or picked a bow in about 14 years up until 6 months ago when my 10 yo started taking archery classes. I started messing around with his recurve that I bought him and now the archery bug has bitten me once again. I tried keeping up with him using my Jennings but with that heavy of a draw weight on the compound, I'm only good for about 15-20 shots, then my shoulder starts to flare up.

So question is since the only thing I'm likely to hunt is small game now a days with a majority of use being target shooting. Should I get a bow like the Samick sage or a target Olympic style bow (recurve)?

Sorry this is so choppy to read, I'm typing it @ the post office from my phone. Waiting on them to search for my lost Gshock I ordered.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 5:20:59 PM EDT
[#1]
How heavy of a draw weight are you taking about on your old bow? I'd like to think the technology has improved enough for you to pull the same draw weight and be comfortable. In any case, the new bows are much more efficient and you will be able to get the speed of your old bow with a lower draw weight.

I wouldn't pigeon hole myself by just buying a target bow. I know a couple people that compete with their hunting rigs. One changes out his stabilizer, the other doesn't do a thing, of course there is the ole' ARFCOM answer of get both, a target bow and a hunting bow.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a bunch for the reply. I want to say my Jennings compound is a #75 draw if I remember correctly.  Old age is catching up to me I guess, I use to be able to shoot that damn thing 50 times and not even think about it.

I hear ya, buying both would be nice. However after outfitting my son and a contemplating wife it's not in the budget.  Should be alot of fun throwing arrows in the backyard with the fam.

Oh yeah, is it not feasible to hunt small game with a target style bow?
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
What small game are you planning on hunting? I don't see why it won't be possible though. From what I've seen of target bows though, they aren't the most maneuverable.

However, lets consider the whole family shooting scenario, and the possibility that your son might want to hunt or your wife might want to try her hand at archery.

Today's bows are very accurate. Like I said before, I know guys that use "hunting" bows to shoot competitions. There are also models with huge ranges in adjustment in both draw weight and draw length. I'd seriously consider one of these types of bows as your next purchase. You can set it up so you can shoot comfortably, possibly helping your shoulder issue and allowing you to strengthen it. If your wife wants to try shooting, you can adjust it for her. If your son wants to start hunting, you can set it up for him and it will literally grow with him. It really makes the most sense for your situation. Links below to a few models. They are surprisingly affordable too.

Mission Craze

Mission Riot

Diamond Infinite Edge
This link might not be right, I'm on my iPad.

Hoyt Ignite

Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Rabbit and squirrel mostly. They fry up good!

Thanks again for the help and links, I checked them out. I really want to stick with a recurve tho.

I keep going back to that sage.
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#5]
On ok sorry. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Everyone that has one seems to be very happy with their Sage. I have been toying with my daughters recurve for a year or so and I decided to put up the wheel bows myself 3 months back and picked up an early 70's Bear Grizzly; I have a reasonably long draw at just over 29 and I'm very pleased with it, no problems with finger pinch or stacking, not bad for a 58" bow. It is a 45# bow - I liked it so well I just added a 50# of the same vintage to my collection. I had a ~1974ish 48# Bear Kodiak Hunter as a teen, didn't shoot it much after I got out of college and ended up moving it down the road, from what I remember of it I have to say I like the Grizzly better. Your idea with the Sage is probably the way to go, but the Grizzly's seem to have a pretty good following as well - they have had the name "the working man's bow" for many years, I now understand why. Only thing with a target bow is it is going to be long, probably not quite as handy in the woods. I'd probably go with something 40-45#. For what you are doing that is plenty. My daughter bow is a 62" 35# Ben Pearson and I have found I really don't care for it; I prefer an arrow with a little more speed, I find I shoot them better - I'm sure it's a mental thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 10:54:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok cool, thanks for the info. I have been watching all the YT reviews this morning and think that the Sage just may be the best of both worlds.  Thanks for the help guys, I"ll pull the trigger on one next week.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top