Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2013 7:14:40 PM EDT
I purchased a used Mathews Mission X3 a couple of months ago on ebay and finally went out shooting in preparation for the whitetail opener in Oct.  The bow was already set up with a rest, sights, etc.  I bought some carbon express speed freaks from wally world and shot with no adjustments to anything on the bow.  I started at 15 yards and was hitting the bullseye right away.  At 30 yards I was a bit high right so I adjusted the pins until I was shooting fairly consistent on center.  My next conquest will be from 45 yards.  I used the old reach divided by 2.5 to figure out what draw length I should use when I bought my bow.  My impression from people I had talked to in the past was that bowhunting was a very technical endeavor and difficult to master so I was always hesitant.  I was told that I couldn't just "buy" a bow.  I would have to have it "fitted".  I am pleased that my first shoot went so well, but have to wonder if I am on a wave of beginners luck, or is it not as technical as I had been lead to believe?  

I did get sloppy on one shot and the bow bit me on the left forearm.  That smarts!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Make sure your arm is not deadlocked straight or that will happen again. If the bow is set at the right draw length, you shouldn't have to straighten your arm. Otherwise, it sounds like you're a natural at this.

You really should have a bow custom tailored to you... everything down to the arrow length/gr to fit you and the bow. It has to match your draw length and the draw weight of the bow vs the weight of the arrow. You need at least 5gr of arrow for every pound of pull (ex: draw weight of 70lb = 70x5gr = 350 gr arrow including tip)

I've been reading about arrow trajectory and shooting a lot lately. Apparently, if you have a pin set to 20 yds, it should pretty much be dead on at 10 yds, slightly high at 15, then back on at 20 yds. If the second pin is set to 30, all of this changes. Knowing the trajectory of every pin is a must for hunting. This and a range finder. This is why some people love the simplicity of a single or maybe up to 3 pins max. Learn them and learn them well. This is where I am at now in my archery venture.

Good luck this season!

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I am trying to figure out if the bow is coming natural or am I just lucky so far.  I will shoot some more this weekend and find out!  I do know that it is seeming to come more natural than getting proficient with my handguns so far.  I will check my form for the draw length.  Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top