Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2013 10:10:17 PM EDT
I've got a question about shooting on an angle.

I know for a rifle at less than 100yds it's not a big deal (read a lot of John Plaster's writings). At what distance does it become an issue for archery when you are in a tree stand?
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
varies on how a bow is set up.  I have POI shift immediately.  Which is why I have my hunting bow sight set for tree stand shots.  
Some arrows are slow and heavy and rely on a large arcing shot while thinner faster arrows are more of a straight shot, way to many variables but to sum it up, Yeah shooting at an angle with a bow is in my opinion out of a tree stand immediate out however far you can shoot.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Always aim high from a tree stand.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to practice from my roof and get the feel for it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I step off (count yards) from 3 to 4 trees at each of my stands. 20-40 yards.

Shoot the sight that is the yardage you stepped off from the tree to the base of your stand/blind/hide...

If the deer is in front of the tree at 35 yds, shoot 30. If behind the same tree shoot 40.

If you can shoot a 8" target you have a dead deer.

Shot 3 last year with my bow.

Just practice; breathe, slow is steady, pick your spot and squeeze the trigger, don't over grip the bow.
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Makes sense.

Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to bust out the calculator and figure out the cosine of the angle like in rifle shooting.
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
View Quote

Not always true... best way to be sure is to actually practice from your stand If possible.. I took a 3d deer target out last Sunday, shot a few arrows...At 5-7 yards I have to aim 8inches low... 10-15yards 3 inches low, At 20 its dead on with the 0-20 pin.. My stand is about 25 high, and last year I missed a nice doe at about 7 yards, and well I found out why... There are to many variables to just use a formula or guess... Also remember bend that the waist, not at the shoulder...
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I use an angle compensating range finder. I range the bases of trees that are along the known deer travel routes.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 8:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Practice.
I have found it has little impact on my bow at the ranges I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
They say bend at the waist when you shoot. In other words, dont just move the bow down (like you afraid you will fall or something) but actually bend with the bow facing down near the target/animal.
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By X_Ring_903:
I use an angle compensating range finder. I range the bases of trees that are along the known deer travel routes.
View Quote

This is the best thing to use. You can have a shot that is 10yds from the base of the tree and have to shoot your 20 pin (depending on the landscape angle, height of treestand, etc). It takes the guesswork out of it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Im a big advocate of take your target to the woods if you cannot practice from same height near home.

After I get my ladder stands set up I bring my bag target and a buddy and shoot for maybe 20 minutes. To me there is no better trick then actually shooting the bow from the stand at your desired distances.

Link Posted: 12/8/2013 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CourtGentry:
They say bend at the waist when you shoot. In other words, dont just move the bow down (like you afraid you will fall or something) but actually bend with the bow facing down near the target/animal.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:51:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By bruiser624:
this

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bruiser624:

Originally Posted By CourtGentry:

this

Yep, and if can afford it get a range finder with ARC technology or similar

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 9:04:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Bend at the waist as stated above.

From an elevated stand you must draw your bow back and aim level to the ground.  Then bend at your waist ONLY and put the sights on target.  If you drop your arm to get on target you will miss.  Your arm must remain at a 90 degree angle from your body.   If you change that angle between your body and arm you will miss.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:46:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By -FiveFiveSIx-:
Not always true... best way to be sure is to actually practice from your stand If possible.. I took a 3d deer target out last Sunday, shot a few arrows...At 5-7 yards I have to aim 8inches low... 10-15yards 3 inches low, At 20 its dead on with the 0-20 pin.. My stand is about 25 high, and last year I missed a nice doe at about 7 yards, and well I found out why... There are to many variables to just use a formula or guess... Also remember bend that the waist, not at the shoulder...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -FiveFiveSIx-:
Originally Posted By Traderjac:
You never know where the arrow will hit if they jump too. Seen vids of the arrows going both over and under the deer. The one under it was far enough out that it was able to first crouch down to load up its legs for liftoff and jumped high enough for the arrow to go under.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top