Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2013 10:27:11 PM EDT
I'm a relative newcomer to bows so forgive me if this a dumb question . . .

I have a new PSE Brute-x that I bought last year, while shooting today I noticed it was making a twang noise that I don't recall it making making before.  I have put about 90 arrows down range with it, and the noise seemed to show up around shot 70 or so.   It shoots fine and everything looks like everything is where it belongs, it just seems to have gotten noisier.

So is that normal as bows loosen up?  Could be a question of shooting form? Could it be that my newb self hasn't recognized something coming loose?  Is it more likely that I'm paying attention to it when I wasn't before?  
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 11:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Common in PSE to be honest.  They are not quiet bows.  I was with a cousin today shooting and his PSE sounds like a tuning fork
If you believe it is a problem and not just something you just start noticing I would bring it to a bow shop or give them a call and ask them, better be safe than sorry if something does come loose while you are shooting.

Also, if you have a quiver attached to the bow something might of come loose inside the quiver, like a foam insert or something like that.  It will make a considerable amount of noise.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I put some string leeches on it, and took it out for a spin yesterday.  It's now even quieter than it was when new, or maybe it's all in my head.  I don't know.

Either way, I have been very happy with this bow.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#3]
String leeches will quiet down any bow nicely.  I prefer Cat Whiskers as the quietest but they take away some FPS.
Link Posted: 7/28/2013 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/29/2013 12:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hold the bow up like you are going to shoot it and instead of drawing it, slap the side of it with your other hand and see if anything vibrates or makes any noise. I know that isn't scientific, but that is how I have always done it.

I suspect something is loose.
View Quote

Thanks.  I'll give that a try.
Link Posted: 7/30/2013 11:43:43 PM EDT
[#6]
What kind of string stop does it have?  Often get that kind of noise from hollow string stops.  I bought a custom one that makes a big difference in that twang/tennis racket sound.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 8:30:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quick update.  I added string leeches and the noise disappeared.  Two more outings after that and another noise popped up.  Tried the bow slap with hand technique, and found a loose nut.  Tightened it up, and everything is right as rain again.

Can't wait to hit the woods for the first time with a bow this deer season.
Link Posted: 8/2/2013 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 8:16:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Glad its good to go.  I count each day until the season opens.  I can't wait to get out there.
Link Posted: 8/4/2013 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Another thing to try or add to what you have done is string wax.  Something good to do anyway, but mine was making some noise, FIL recommended string wax.  Quieted up some.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
In my experience, things that will reduce noise --

1.  Getting the bow in perfect tune!   Cam(s) synchronized and yoke tuned.  Arrow rest at or very close to centershot.  When the bow is pushing the arrow perfectly straight in a synchronized motion, more energy is imparted into the arrow and less into making vibration.

2.  Losing the peep sight tube.  Learn how to tie them in straight without the tube.   The peep sight tube makes one heck of a thwack when you shoot.

3.  Using heavier arrows.  Heavier arrows will quiet a bow down substantially.  Drawback is that you lose speed, but you do pick up momentum.

4.  Using a good stabilizer with shock absorbing thingies, Limbsavers, and string leeches, etc.

5.  Making sure everything is tight and eliminate any rattles discovered by the smack test.

6.  Finding a quiet mechanical release.  Some mechanical releases crack like a mother.  I use a Scott single caliper (Wildcat) and it's fairly quiet.  Noticeably quieter than my dual caliper TrueBall and Tru-Fire.
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I do.  Two on each limb.  My bow came with them installed.

I added string leeches, and tightened + locktite to a nut, and the bow's quieted back down to where it was when new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top