Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2013 2:10:24 PM EDT
So I just bought my first bow about two weeks ago a Sammick Sage 45# take down recurve. I was on the fence about buying one until I actually went to Cabelas, I looked at the empty shelves where 9mm , .22lr and .38special used to be and decided to give archery a try.(gotta have something to shoot)

I was surprised to find that they actually had an indoor range, the salesmen let me take a few shots and try a couple of different bows.The archery staff were really friendly, they helped figure out my draw length and cut some arrows for me too.

So far I really like archery, it's nice to be able to shoot inside Chicago (there's an archery club near a local harbor). I also like being able to reuse my "ammo" I'm still a total newb , but so far it's been pretty cool. I think I've been bitten by the archery bug
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I suspect that the archery business will be experiencing a huge jump in sales / business related to the ammo shortage.

I just bought a bow ( Samick Polaris ) for pretty much the same reasons you did.

re-usable ammo is a pretty slick deal.

Also just moved onto six acres and my daughters really enjoy archery.
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Been into archery for many years.  Takes a bit more practice and patience that gunpowder & lead but offers some distinct benefits.  Silence, stealth, reusable ammo, physical conditioning, much less gear to carry just name a few.  And I haven't heard anything about banning assault bow & arrows yet. LOL
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 3:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot more archery than guns for the past few years now.  Love the fact I do it in my backyard day or night without anyone bothering me.  Only thing that stops me from shooting is bad wind.
I get that same gratification from shooting a gun that I do shooting a bow so it's win win.
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 3:13:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh yeah!  I just bought the same Sammick Sage 45# take down recurve.
Took my 1st test shots this weekend in my yard.  Have to buy a new string as I messed up the one it came with.  I just learned how to set it up the right way. Need new knocks, & a string & I should be ok. Also found out you need 400 spline bows about 31" in length.
Have a blob target on order.  I have a good 20 yards in my fenced in yard I can practice with.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm buying a bow for the same reason soon. The ammo I have I need to save. Once I get a few arrows ill be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure to get good arrows. Just finished breaking my second arrow in two weeks of having my first bow. Then again... I put well over 200 shots per arrow. I just picked up a bowtech Insanity CPXL compound bow. Fun stuff. Got into due to ammo shortage and prices on almost everything gun related jumping up for well over 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/5/2013 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Bought a bowtech assasin with a 70# draw. I really like it. Got 6 nice arrows and a good release. Everything was $775. However I can shoot until I pass out now. . Don't know why it took so long for me to get into it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been in to archery for years, got out of it for awhile, then got back into it and shoot quite a bit now since it's the only shooting I can really afford to do. Plus, I can shoot in my backyard, something I don't think the neighbors would like if I was using a gun.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought a bow for my six year old for Christmas, since then myself and my wife acquired bows as well. We still like to shoot, but archery is easier on the wallet and the ears. We shoot the bows about once a week now and enjoy it very much. Definately scratches the itch if ya know what I mean.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 11:45:01 PM EDT
[#11]
archery has always interested me, but never jumped into it for some reason. then with all this ammo bullshit i'm just sick of it. i'm sick of constantly checking the stock of local stores or waiting for online deals to pop up.

haven't gotten my bow yet but i'm between a sammick sage or pse razorback. kinda wanna go to a local shop and get some advice first and have them get my draw length and find a good weight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope.  I got into archery because I got into hunting.  The deer archery season in Ohio lasts about five months as opposed to about two weeks total with guns.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 9:08:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nope.  I got into archery because I got into hunting.  The deer archery season in Ohio lasts about five months as opposed to about two weeks total with guns.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Always loved archery, but with current ammo prices......been shooting WAY more arrows than bullets!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I've shot archery on and off for years. The recent shortages have got me back into shooting more often and I was even able to talk my wife into it. It's easy to take the bows camping and often easy to find a place to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top