Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2013 5:11:29 PM EDT
I am new to compound archery.Shot one last week and did well with it.A friend gave me an old PSE Fire Flite express.So I took it down to my PSE dealer and had him go over it.The cams were good,it got new peep,and loop.The bow has a 75Lb pull as they put it on a machine to measure it.Its a beast.So they tried adjusting it as far as would be safe.My question is this .Are there exercises i can do to strengthen my pull.Im right handed 5 Ft 8" 175 lbs.I workout with weights but this thing is a beast.I stood on the string and pulled the Bow up.It looks like it breaks at about a foot,then becomes easier.I would hate to have this bow get the best of me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know of too much that will help except practice.  Get a captive release(a release that won't go off - its just a metal hook) and pull, let down, pull, let down.  I just got back into bows after 20 tears away and was really surprised how weak I am.  I am trying to pull 20x per day.  When it gets easier I'll start shooting my new bow.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Just drawing would help greatly, but if you work out, I would try a bench row .
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked my wife up a set of work out resistance bands.  She is able to hold it like a bow (kinda) and draw back.  It works fairly well.  You can use the bow you already have.  Just try to pull it 15 to 20 per day.  Archery uses muscles that don't get used all the time.  You should be able to pull it back with out a problem in no time at all.  Just stick with it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I don't know of too much that will help except practice.  Get a captive release(a release that won't go off - its just a metal hook) and pull, let down, pull, let down.  I just got back into bows after 20 tears away and was really surprised how weak I am.  I am trying to pull 20x per day.  When it gets easier I'll start shooting my new bow.

I've been hand drawing the string without an arrow (I have a release for actual shooting) on my new bow to build strength, but a captive release sounds like a pretty handy thing. Problem is I can't seem to find captive releases on the dealer websites I've looked at. Is there a company that makes a captive release with a wrist strap?

Link Posted: 5/24/2013 7:27:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Drawing w/o an arrow is a little concerning to me, one slip and you have damaged a bow. Better off putting an arrow in it and point it in a safe direction when you "work out".
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Push ups and chin ups.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 8:21:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Just shoot as much as you can. I am not a strong guy by any means but I can outlast my strongest friends because I shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Drawing w/o an arrow is a little concerning to me, one slip and you have damaged a bow. Better off putting an arrow in it and point it in a safe direction when you "work out".

Definitely, but I live in an apartment, work nights, and the closest range is two hours away. I don't have many convenient options for practicing and I'm hesitant to draw an arrow in my apartment. I know accidents happen, but I hand draw with a full fist and I trust myself not to dry fire.

Link Posted: 5/24/2013 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#9]
It is suggested to use an arrow without a tip when practice drawing without firing.

If it is accidentally released it won't have enough energy to do much damage but it'll still be heavy enough to prevent damage to the bow.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top