Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2013 10:11:42 PM EDT
...Well, it's new to me.

I got a 2011 Bowtech Assassin from eBay. It will be equipped with the R.A.K. package, so I'm set for accessories for now. In the future, I'll probably change out the Whisker Biscuit style rest to a drop away type, but for now I'm just wondering what I should look for as far as inspection and tuning are concerned. The bow is supposed to be NIB old stock, so I expect it to be in perfect condition, but I just want to be safe. Also, I know strings degrade with time, but will they be ok on an unfired 2 year old bow for a while?

Thanks for the help with my first compound! It should be here in a week or so. Range report to follow.

-Dave
Link Posted: 1/22/2013 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2012 Assassin and really like it.  While it is supposed to be new some people are not always the most honest these days it probably wouldn't hurt to make friends with your local archery shop and see if they will inspect the limbs for cracks and ensure the riser does not appear to be bent.  Also check to make sure the cams are not bent as well.  These are signs that the bow may have been dry fired.  When the time comes for that drop away rest I highly recommend the QAD drop aways.  Best of luck with your new toy!
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 12:32:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a 2012 Assassin and really like it.  While it is supposed to be new some people are not always the most honest these days it probably wouldn't hurt to make friends with your local archery shop and see if they will inspect the limbs for cracks and ensure the riser does not appear to be bent.  Also check to make sure the cams are not bent as well.  These are signs that the bow may have been dry fired.  When the time comes for that drop away rest I highly recommend the QAD drop aways.  Best of luck with your new toy!

Thanks for the advice! I saw pictures of the bow, and it still has the original tags on it. I didn't consider the possibility that it may have been dry fired though. It was listed as NIB: unused and undamaged in its original packaging. So, let's hope everything is as it was described.

From what I hear the draw length adjustment on these bows is very easy. I should be ok with that, but what does it mean when people talk about tuning a compound?
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#3]
not to hijack this thread but i see a lot of people talking about the assassin.  

what is the draw to the assassin over say the invasion?  i'm totally new to bows so just trying to learn.
Link Posted: 1/24/2013 9:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about everyone else, but the reason I got mine is because I got it on the cheap ($350 + shipping) and, from what I hear, pretty much every bow Bowtech makes is of excellent quality. Also, I'm pretty sure the Assassin is the cheapest of the Bowtech lineup at $699, whereas most of their other bows are around the $1,000 range. That may account for why they sell so many of them.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 1:02:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm going tomorrow to shoot as many different bows as I can.  Bowtech is definitely one I can't wait to try.  I want to try both the Assassin and the Invasion.  350 is such a great price.  Let me know how you like it
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 12:59:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm going tomorrow to shoot as many different bows as I can.  Bowtech is definitely one I can't wait to try.  I want to try both the Assassin and the Invasion.  350 is such a great price.  Let me know how you like it

Yeah, it seemed like a deal I couldn't refuse. Good luck testing out the bows. UPS says mine shipped yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
great bow.  I love shooting my brother in laws.
Link Posted: 4/27/2013 6:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

great bow.  I love shooting my brother in laws.

How many brother in laws have you shot?  

Sorry, just noticed this isn't GD.

Link Posted: 5/22/2013 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Tried a Bowtech Assassin when I was shopping for my first bow. Ended up going with PSE Brute X for the value, but I really liked the Assassin.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top