Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2012 2:17:59 PM EDT
So here's the back story:

I'm new to archery, lets get that out of the way. Went to a local bow shop and bought a BowTech Insanity CPXL 70lb (I have a 31.5 draw length) with the the works. The guys at the shop never measured me to know what my draw length is and they set up my new bow and cut my arrows. I kept telling the guy while we were getting my top pin zeroed that it just doesn't feel right and he kept saying that I'll get used to it.

When I get the bow home I looked at the owners manual and saw that the guy set the draw length at the shortest setting. So I took it back and had a different guy help me and he sets it all the way out to 32 inches. It felt awesome. So he takes it back to fine tune a few things and when we started to re-zero the top pin I notice that it wasn't at 32" anymore, now it's at 30.5". "What gives," I asked. He said that if I plan on using it for hunting then I should have it shorter than my draw length so that if I'm in a tree stand and have to turn to my right (I'm right handed) I won't have a problem holding the draw for the shot. We kind of argued back and forth because I want the natural feel at full draw and he said I'll have issues with turning and shooting.

What is the deal? Aside from the shop guys trying to convince me of what they think my bow should be for me instead of letting me decide, can this really cause that big of a problem or I'm I right by wanting the bow adjusted for me instead of me adjusting to the bow?
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Make them put it back to your actual draw length.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 8:09:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe a dumb question from me, but I gotta ask anyway.  You said you prefer the 32" draw and you mentioned that they already cut your arrows, but you didn't say if you tried shooting one of your arrows at the 32" draw length.  Is it possible they cut your arrows too short for that long of a draw and they just don't want to fess up to it?

I never did shoot one of my arrows at the 32" draw. They only had me draw back to see how it felt, or I should say how it looked to them. I don't think my arrows are too short for where it's set now. But I also don't know if they'd be too short for 31.5" or 32" draw.
Link Posted: 6/25/2012 9:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 12:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Since you're at 30.5" now, when you're at full draw with an arrow in the bow, does it look like you have a couple inches of arrow sticking out past the arrow rest?

Just out of curiosity, what's our wingspan measure out from fingertip to fingertip?  It isn't an exact way to figure draw length, but it gets you close.

Yeah, there is a couple of inches of arrow in front of the rest. My wingspan is about 78.5-79 inches.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
You were right.

You should have around a 31.5" DL according to the formulas.

I'm assuming this bow requires a press to change the drawlength.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You were right.

You should have around a 31.5" DL according to the formulas.

I'm assuming this bow requires a press to change the drawlength.

Thanks for agreeing. Yes it does need a press. I would love to get one but I don't see it being worth it right now. Although if something goes wrong with my bow or if there is something I'd like to change that requires the press, I think I will get one.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#8]
adjust the bow to you, not the other way. Even with sights there is still some instinct involved in shooting a bow consistently and that requires a proper fitting bow. I've never had any problem turning and shooting, it might feel a little weird at some angles, but practice will overcome that. On the other hand it's better to have the DL too short than too long, but 1.5" is a tad too short. I'd find a new shop or learn how to do this stuff yourself. You can pick up a Bowmaster portable press for under $100 and it will work good for occasional use. also check out Archery Talk, there is alot of good advice on there too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top