Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2012 7:34:20 PM EDT
Had the wife take a picture of me at full draw.  Please critique my technique.  Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Good enough to kill deer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you shoot open hand, be sure and close all your fingers instead of fanning them out.
But hey, if you're shooting good that way, don't change a thing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 9:10:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/22/2012 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Try lowering left elbow a little that will change the angle that your palm contacts the grip. Like someone else said relax your hand and your wrist.

Practice practice practice!
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Shorten draw length a half inch, relax your grip hand (as indicated), both eyes open and keep your finger off that trigger unless you are aiming at a backstop.

Beyond that, it's more about doing the same exact thing every time.  This will net you better results than constantly tweaking your form, anchor equipment etc...
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Shorten draw length a half inch, relax your grip hand (as indicated), both eyes open and keep your finger off that trigger unless you are aiming at a backstop.

Beyond that, it's more about doing the same exact thing every time.  This will net you better results than constantly tweaking your form, anchor equipment etc...

Thanks for the responses.  I just wanted to point out that my finger was behind the trigger holding it forward, not on the trigger.  My release has a hair trigger so I am paranoid about that.  I have tried relaxing my grip hand (and rotating it to about 45 degrees) since posting this thread and its much better.  Honestly, I didn't know I was extending my fingers like that until I saw the photos.  I just knew I was trying not to grip the bow tightly.

Also I adjusted my draw length by buying an EVO set to 26.5". LOL.

I will have to work on keeping both eyes open.  I struggle with that with all shooting.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:52:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I am left eye dominant but shoot a right hand bow. Last summer I was homeless we sold our house and had to stay in my mother-in law's basement. Fortunately she lives about 3 blocks from the indoor range. With a lot of practice I managed to train my brain to accept what my R eye is seeing with both open.
The moral is keep trying you'll get it. I find I don't drop the bow prematurely  to see hits wit both eyes open.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was going to say it looks like your drawlength might be a half inch to an inch too long.  A tell-tale is that you're leaning back slightly (you've run out of wingspan, so your body is arcing back to make up the rest).  Your spine should be perfectly vertical when you are in your comfortable hold and all anchored up.  The bottom of the collar of your shirt should be directly over your belt buckle.  And release hand forearm should be running parallel with the arrow, both vertically and horizontally when your draw length / release length / d-loop length is perfect.

Too long a drawlength also makes you creep forward before the shot because your body is hyperextended trying to hold the string all the way back and it will have a tendency to want to relax into your natural (shorter) draw length.

When you have your drawlength right, you will find shooting to be extremely pleasurable.  You can hold against the backwall and aim with absolutely no creep.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 10:20:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I agree that your DL is too long, I'd shorten it an 1" and go from there. It looks like your elbow is locked and it should have a slight bend in it. also, like mentioned before, relax the grip on you bow hand.  I can't tell by the photo, but you shouldn't be gripping the release either, just let the hand relax. Other than that everything else looks good, you have your nose to the string so you can get a consistent anchor.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 11:23:29 AM EDT
[#12]
You getting any better OP?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top