Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/11/2014 9:29:39 PM EDT
Hello,

I have been shooting now for 3 years and am gearing up to start shooting some 3 gun. Looks like a great time and it has caught my attention. A little about what I have

already AR 16" with a CMR 1-4, Glock 19, have plenty of mags for both, I reload so ammo is good to go. Now to my question I am eager to get started but don't want to

drop alot of coin if it isn't necessary and buy things I will not need. Any help would be greatly appreciated in what to get as far as a good starting shotgun holders for

mags and pistol and a belt and anything else you guys think I would need.

Thank you in advance,
Mike
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 11:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
a couple of comments...take them with a grain of salt... I'm an old guy (66) and in no way am I capable of shooting at the skill level of Jason or Jesse... but as long as they let my play, I'll try to do so

if you don't already shoot USPSA pistol, I'd suggest you shoot a couple of pistol matches before trying to shoot multigun... most shooters will use the same pistol belts,pistol magazine pouches, and holster for both sports, and modularize the rifle mag pouches, and shotshell carriers... I would suggest a good kydex holster like BladeTech, and I use a retention holster, but that is a personal decision... the first matches I shot required that the pistol be carried for all stages, and I continue to do so

if your club does a lot of "tactical" matches and goes prone with the long guns... you may not want to purchase the load2/load4 shotshell holders that the go-fast guys use, and settle on the 4 or 6 shell trays instead...if you use the trays, it is advantageous to learn to weak hand load... loading the shotgun typically determines the match winner....

as commented, the tek lok or similar quick on/off fasteners allow you to quickly configure your pistol belt...I use a 2" inner/outer belt, but most use a smaller 1 1/2" pistol belt

I like to carry one more rifle magazine than should be necessary to complete the course of fire...and have not needed any more than 36 rounds of shotshells since the last of the North Carolina Tactical matches I shot..

for a typical match, I load (3) 30 round rifle mags and have a high cap mag in the bag
(3) 18round mags for the G34
(3) 4 round trays on the belt, and a loaded side saddle on the Benelli (which I empty if shooting slugs)

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir I was actually going to try some pistol matches first as suggested. I forgot to post it in my original post. Is my glock 19 exceptable for both I noticed most people use a full size pistol. Also what shotgun would you recommend just starting out I know that's a  preference I ask more so just in case there is a model I am unaware of which is more cost effective then a benelli or a versa max.

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 9:12:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lasnyder] [#3]
Mike... , naturally when the pistol shot distances increase, the added sight radius of the full size pistols helps, but realistically, your G19 should work fine.. make sure you get a good set of sight as the factory Glock sights are terrible... as for the shotgun, if you can find a used Rem 1100/1187 reasonable, they shoot pretty soft and there are a ton of aftermarket parts available... they do have some liabilities, typically the bolt carrier to recoil spring link (tuning fork) and the extended loading gates are sometime an iffy addition... I shot one for many years, and if you have a choice, the 1187 extractor is much thicker than the 1100....make sure your shotgun barrel has screw in chokes... I like the shorter barrels 21" or 24".. you may need to work on the gas ports to shoot lower power "cheap" shotshells...my M1S90 is about 10 years old and was in the $800 range... with the newer M2 guns on the market they may be available used.. again, make sure it has screw in chokes...most of the guys like the VersaMax, I have not had any experience with one as well as the Beretta 1301 or the Stoger

I'd look at your local match to get an idea of the shotshell holders you may need...  speed is with the load2/load4 clips, but they are pricey, and if I were match director, would throw in a prone stage to see how practical they really are... most matches do not require prone positions, but angled roof tops are becoming popular... at the recent Area 6 multigun match, there was not a tremendous advantage to the load2 system over the trays

down the line, look for a jogging stroller, or some way to transport your stuff...two long guns, 100 rounds of 12ga, 200 rounds of pistol ammo, 200 rounds of rifle ammo, water, extra mags and equipment is easier to push than carry

good luck
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you sir so very much I appreciate the response and great tips
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 8:03:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 9:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont buy ANYTHING you dont have to to get through your first match.
No matter what you buy, your going to change your setup 3x at least. Check what other guys use, notice what works, and what would work for you.

Fine tune from there. Use minimal gear first go round.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you I greatly appreciate all the great advice. I was looking at the Mossberg jm pro its cost effective is anyone running one and if so how is it? Also is there a specific site tk locate matches in the tri state area near Middletown ny?

Mike
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigRso:
Thank you I greatly appreciate all the great advice. I was looking at the Mossberg jm pro its cost effective is anyone running one and if so how is it? Also is there a specific site tk locate matches in the tri state area near Middletown ny?

Mike
View Quote

Tri-state like NJ, CT  and NY.   You won't find too many places. Look at OB Cats in Old Bridge NJ and Topton fish and game in PA.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Mike
View Quote

I run a JM Pro and love mine.. hell Miculek shoots it and he aint so bad.  He put out a great breakdown and cleaning video that I know helped a lot of folks who were having some problems, but mine has been great right out the box.  

As Jesse said the Stoeger M3000 is a really popular shotgun right now and from what I hear, a really solid gun to get started with.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up 3 mag holster and a pistol holster from bladetech with tekloks will try a IDPA match until I am able to get my shotgun and rest of the gear tax season.

I decided on the ez8 holster for shotshell since you can do all 3 loading types with it and will be picking up a bladetech ar mag holder as well. I really appreciate the feed

back now I hope I can find a place to actually do it.

Thanks again,

Mike

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 2:40:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By poortrader:

Tri-state like NJ, CT  and NY.   You won't find too many places. Look at OB Cats in Old Bridge NJ and Topton fish and game in PA.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By poortrader:

Mike

I will be looking in to the one in PA since its a gun friendly state NJ not so much don't want to chance it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Hello,

I have been shooting now for 3 years and am gearing up to start shooting some 3 gun. Looks like a great time and it has caught my attention. A little about what I have

already AR 16" with a CMR 1-4, Glock 19, have plenty of mags for both, I reload so ammo is good to go. Now to my question I am eager to get started but don't want to

drop alot of coin if it isn't necessary and buy things I will not need. Any help would be greatly appreciated in what to get as far as a good starting shotgun holders for

mags and pistol and a belt and anything else you guys think I would need.

Thank you in advance,
Mike
View Quote

I'm still fairly new myself, my background is in the military. I like the Moss JM pro for a shotgun, and taco mag pouches- I use my old MOLLE war belt. I use taco mag pouches and a combo of tactical tailor shingles and safariland double holders for shells.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I started out with this set-up:

It was just a Blackhawk tactical belt with some miscellaneous magazine pouches.

I have started using the Safariland ELS system.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 4:13:28 PM EDT
[#15]
DON'T START IN OPEN

ELS belts are pricey, but they grow and shrink with your needs IMHO. Worth the coin. I use mine on regular range trips. You can grab a lot of the gear for it on the EE and save a bunch of coin.

DON'T START IN OPEN

Practice reloading in your home. $20-30 in dummy shells is worth the investment. May want to pick up 2 blue mags for rifle and pistol.

DON'T START IN OPEN

Shotgun holders may require you to spend some money to determine what you like (L2/4 vs weak hand), again check the EE.

DON'T START IN OPEN

Tac Optics, at least around me, is the most competitive field. You may want to start with a borrowed RDS or just shoot irons if you want to place. I shoot no-magnification in rifle matches and still place top 10, just know your dope out to whatever the limit is at the range.

DON'T START IN OPEN

Read lots. Here, Brian Enos, and check youtube. Lots of good advice, drills, and gear setups.

DON'T START IN OPEN

Find dual-purpose gear as much as possible. Cases, bags, guns, whatever.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top