Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2012 3:37:35 PM EDT
How many of you LEO's use your duty weapons?  I am not blessed to have a glock our Dept. carries Sig's.  They are nice guns and work just fine but im not partial.  Just wondering if you are sticking w your duty weapon for practice and familiarity or using a.....

thxs
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I run my issued 229 in .40S&W for IDPA but for 3 gun I had to go with a M&P9Pro.  Magazine capacity, cheaper to shoot, lighter recoil, better sight radius, fiber optic..ect.  My duty pistol is a great fighting gun but as much as I wish it were it's just not a great great 3G pistol.
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 7:54:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I run my duty issue HK P2000 exclusively, just shot a match on Saturday with it. I trust my life to this weapon system and though it's not what I would have chosen I will "train" with nothing else. No sense in having muscle memory go to crap under stress by trying to remember multiple weapon platforms. I'm an FI and this is what I ENCOURAGE my shooters to do.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
How many of you LEO's use your duty weapons?  I am not blessed to have a glock our Dept. carries Sig's.  They are nice guns and work just fine but im not partial.  Just wondering if you are sticking w your duty weapon for practice and familiarity or using a.....

thxs

I shoot my duty guns quite a bit. At local matches the Match director allows us to shoot both divisions if we pay extra so I shoot my duty gear in limited a lot. (limited for us is really tac optics combined with limited) I also shoot my Glock 17 in IDPA matches. About the only gunI don't shoot in competition much is my 14 inch Vang because of the capacity restriction and being bumped to open because of the ports and the Knox stock. Although I shot all my duty weapons in my first three gun match. Open because of the shotgun. Back then I carried a single stack pistol as well. That was fun. LoL
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 5:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not LE but I have duty weapons for work.

I started shooting an Elcan SpectreDR on my rifle and I have a Sig P226 I might drop my 2011 for one day.

I'm not allowed to use my "work" gun outside of work but I figure since I spend so much time with them, I should contour my competition gear towards my duty gear.

No way I'd consider putting competition wear on my duty gear though - burning 10-30k a year in your work gun is no good.

My everyday duty carry:

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#5]
im a huge fan of my glocks and 1911's but think ill stick w my work gun just for the fact that speed and accuracy w that gun is more important than anything else...
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm issued a Sig P229 DAK (.40 cal).  I can't stand the thing.  I've used it in a few IDPA matches, but for 3-Gun I use my G34.

There's talk that we may switch to M&Ps at some point in the future.  If that happens, I may sell off my Glocks and completely switch over to M&Ps.
Link Posted: 4/15/2012 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used my duty firearms in the past matches, but they are not my go to gaming guns.  For my first several 3 Gun matches, I used a pump Rem. 870.  I put in plenty of training time with my duty pistol, rifle and shotgun so I don't feel guilty about not using them for gaming matches.  That being said, I just shot my first USPSA match with my issued pistol, an M&P45, and it felt great.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't use my duty gun for 3gun.  If I was going to drag race for a hobby I wouldn't use a crown vic for the job either.  It will get the job done, but there are better options out there.  With that said, there is nothing wrong with it at all and I would encourage any cop to come shoot a match with their duty gear to get the practice if nothing else.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 7:00:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I been using my issued Gen 4 Glock 17 right now.  Though I am buying a Glock 21 for Heavy Metal division.  The way I look at it is either I stand at a range shooting it for practice or take it out to competition and get more realistic/challenging shooting done than just shooting at a static paper target, and not moving.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 9:57:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not LE but I have duty weapons for work.

I started shooting an Elcan SpectreDR on my rifle and I have a Sig P226 I might drop my 2011 for one day.

I'm not allowed to use my "work" gun outside of work but I figure since I spend so much time with them, I should contour my competition gear towards my duty gear.

No way I'd consider putting competition wear on my duty gear though - burning 10-30k a year in your work gun is no good.

My everyday duty carry:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k274/DyNo541/42e40be9.jpg

Where did you get that TDI Ka-Bar? Have you been there or did you just get it off the net? Just curious as I carry one too.
Mark

Link Posted: 6/8/2012 12:22:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Where did you get that TDI Ka-Bar? Have you been there or did you just get it off the net? Just curious as I carry one too.
Mark

Yup, eBay.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I am issued a Glock 23, but shoot a Glock 17 for all of LEO 3 gun competitions.  Bigger capacity, cheaper round, with mildly less recoil.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am issued a Glock 23, but shoot a Glock 17 for all of LEO 3 gun competitions.  Bigger capacity, cheaper round, with mildly less recoil.

That is a bit against the spirt of the rules where I am at. In the LEO type competitions I am at the rules are you shoot what you carry on the street.
Pat
Link Posted: 8/15/2012 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Depends on what you want to get out of it shooting 3 gun.

I would say that, just starting out, shoot what you have.  

Starting out, keep it simple and learn the sport.  If you get hooked, you'll have time to buy more stuff and having been around for awhile, you'll have developed an idea of what you want to get and why.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:31:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been struggling with this very idea.  Have been carrying single stack 1911's for years but recently learned to shoot the glock.  17 on duty and 34 for 3gun.  However, I'm missing the 1911/2011 platform.  I have a STI Tactical with some slight mods on order from shooters connection.  If I can get it to run reliably enough for duty, it will be the new work/3gun pistol (I hope).  If not, I'll be sticking with the glocks.  Either way, I'm sticking with the same type of platform for work and games.
Link Posted: 9/18/2012 12:49:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I shot a couple of the DPMS 3 Tri Guns. I enjoy shooting these as it is another venue to keep my skill set sharp. I have to alter my shooting style to accomodate the range rules but I do OK

Last 3 gun I shot, I used my duty Glock 17 and AR15.

Glock was bone stock with Meprolights shooting 115 gr. American Eagle, carried in a Safariland ALS with Bladetech mag pouches

Rifle was AImpoint M2/Larue  equipped AR15 carbine, Magpul P Mags and

I did pretty well considering I was going up against some pretty world class shooters.

Im still working on my shotgun skills. I use my Benelli M1S90
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top