Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2014 11:11:33 PM EDT
I really enjoy shooting 3 Gun and I'm looking at upgrading my stock M&P sights but wasn't really looking at going to a sight like this.
I ended up winning a pair of XS Sights at a match and I'm wondering if I should give them a try or just sell them and buy something else.

Although I use my pistol for competition I'm keeping it such that it's still my go to defensive gun.

Thanks for the input guys.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#1]
They are horrible.. send them to me for disposal.... seriously... they work, fast aquire, east to use, A friend had them on her duty weapon, took me a few shots to get used to. But steady hits after that. Put the circle on the target and shoot
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 9:51:11 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like to shoot for tight groups on paper you will hate them. If you like to shot center of mass in a 2-6" group and could care less that they are not a small tight group then you will like them as the poster above noted
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#3]
How well they perform on 6" plates at 10 yds?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:22:36 PM EDT
[#4]
They will be fine at that distance....you will need to practice with them in the beginning...then once you have the hang of them it should be no biggie
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Big Dot or Standard Dot front?

I use the Standard Dot XS sights on my 2/3gun/carry 4.5" MP45 and love them.

I practically never miss plates and we often have silhouettes out to 50+yd, which are no problem once you get used to them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I won any pair I want up to a $200 value. I was thinking that the standard dot would be a good compromise.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I won any pair I want up to a $200 value. I was thinking that the standard dot would be a good compromise.
View Quote

My standard dot is a tritium front, I'd go with that if you're not paying
I don't think they have a tritium M&P rear due to the way the rear laps over the slide, unlike the Glock rear which is a simple straight-up dovetail.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Do you have an AK? I love them on mine.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the XS Big Dot on my conceal carry Glock 19 and absolutely prefer it hands down for that role.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Ken Cobb won the same certificate at Double Tap.  Said he has these sights on all his Glocks.

I won the $200 certificate at Cowtown Classic.  I'm waiting until they have the AR offset sights back in stock.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]
XS Sights on pistols are a gimmic.  For defensive shooting you can shoot just as fast using point shooting, slide index, front sight index, or soft sight picture relative to the distance to the target AND if you have real sights still shoot accurately at range or at smaller targets.  In my AZ Armed guard classes people with XS sights generally get lower qual scores or fail to qualify on a full size human target that isn't moving.  Hand them a Glock with trijicons or even crappy factory plastic sights and they do better,

They are unsuitable for match shooting.  Over the past several years I've seen a half  dozen shooters show up with XS sights that they insisted were awesome for self defense, fail to be able to hit static steel roughly the same size as a human head or spend a lot of rounds doing it.  Give them traditional sights and they always perform better.  It is a complete fallacy to think that equipment that makes it harder to shoot well under static match conditions with much less stress will suddenly perform better under more stress with rounds going both ways.

The XS sights on shotguns work great.

I use the same iron sights for competition that I carry, Warren tactical Sevigny carry sights.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
XS Sights on pistols are a gimmic.  For defensive shooting you can shoot just as fast using point shooting, slide index, front sight index, or soft sight picture relative to the distance to the target AND if you have real sights still shoot accurately at range or at smaller targets.  In my AZ Armed guard classes people with XS sights generally get lower qual scores or fail to qualify on a full size human target that isn't moving.  Hand them a Glock with trijicons or even crappy factory plastic sights and they do better,

They are unsuitable for match shooting.  Over the past several years I've seen a half  dozen shooters show up with XS sights that they insisted were awesome for self defense, fail to be able to hit static steel roughly the same size as a human head or spend a lot of rounds doing it.  Give them traditional sights and they always perform better.  It is a complete fallacy to think that equipment that makes it harder to shoot well under static match conditions with much less stress will suddenly perform better under more stress with rounds going both ways.

The XS sights on shotguns work great.

I use the same iron sights for competition that I carry, Warren tactical Sevigny carry sights.
View Quote

I guess I'm some super-awesome-uber shooter then, since I seem to win matches just fine with such crappy sights on my MP45...

They can take some getting used to.  They won't make a bad shooter better.

I did recommend above that he go with the standard dot front and not the Big Dot.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I guess I'm some super-awesome-uber shooter then, since I seem to win matches just fine with such crappy sights on my MP45...

I did recommend above that he go with the standard dot front and not the Big Dot.
View Quote

The question to ask is does the benefit of that sighting system justify the extra time, effort, and ammo to master over more traditional sighting systems.  For you it might, for most people it won't.  I would also propose barring some vision issue you would probably perform even better with sights that give you more information as to their alignment and placement; your skill level is overcoming the inherent disadvantages of that sighting system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The question to ask is does the benefit of that sighting system justify the extra time, effort, and ammo to master over more traditional sighting systems.  For you it might, for most people it won't.  I would also propose barring some vision issue you would probably perform even better with sights that give you more information as to their alignment and placement; your skill level is overcoming the inherent disadvantages of that sighting system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me, it just feels more natural in a timed setting to "dot the i" instead of getting my blade evenly in the gap horizontally.  I've shot with 3-dots, plain black and fiber sights, and the XS standard dot just works best for me among the styles I have tried.  And as we both said, "for me" is the operative word.  They're not for everyone.

I was being a bit sarcastic on my shooting ability by the way.  Sure I have won some matches, and I'm pretty much always in the top 10% but I'm no master shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top