Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2016 7:39:52 AM EDT
I have been shooting 3 gun for about two full seasons with my Armalite 18".  It is the 2014 version just before Armalite came out with their current version of 3-gun rifles.  Being that my rifle has a heavy profile 18" barrel, there is a lot of weight out front.  The rifle initially came with a Magpul MOE collapsible stock which I almost immediately replaced with a full size stock to offer the rifle better balance.

While it does make the rifle feel more balanced overall, this feeling may not actually equate to any better shooting/handling characteristics since the added weight is closest to my body during movement (such as swinging from target to target).

I know that many Professionals use fixed length stocks, but many of them have adjustable stocks or such and I don't think that they are doing it to add weight or balance to the rifle.

I would be curious to hear some opinions, especially from anyone who has gone from an adjustable stock to a full stock or vice versa.

Link Posted: 11/4/2016 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#1]
The various stocks you see will be for fit and weight more than anything. I personally use a MagPul PRS stock on my 3gun AR. A2 length was always a little long for me, and the PRS starts at A1 length which is shorter, and I'm able to dial it in exactly where I want it.

The main reason I have the PRS though, is because it's heavy. I too had a rifle that was very front heavy, and didn't swing well. Adding the PRS balanced the rifle, and made it swing much better.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Either the A2 for me or a MOE Rifle with butt pad (pic was while the butt pad was en-route).  But then again my proper shotgun LOP is about 16 1/2"

I don't shoot rifle squared to the target more old-school.  If you shoot using some of the more modern squared-up styles, you will want a shorter stock.  The way I shoot, most collapsable stocks will have me resting my cheek on the buffer tube directly, which I don't care for.  Hence the fixed rifle.

If you want a fixed stock with a shorter LOP, check out the MOE fixed carbine.  My wife has one on her rifle.  It's way too short for me, but still a good-feeling stock.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top