Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2016 2:13:24 AM EDT
What factors influence your choice in hand guard.legnth.

I'm working on new build ...  16  inch barrel ( to save on weight)

I'm looking at and have handled 15 inch guard and feels good.  

I've shot as short as 9.5    

And as long as I train on it what ever legnth I don't see that huge a difference... Yet.  

I haven't competed yet.    But hope to soon.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Longer offers advantages for both grip and bracing on barricades.  Longer allows for you to extend your support arm shorter does not.  With a 16" barrel you are probably going to want 13-15".  If you go with something like a super slim/ lightweight it will not add a noticeable difference in weight.  Lighter weight equals increased recoil so there is a trade off. That's my opinion anyway.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Longer offers advantages for both grip and bracing on barricades.  Longer allows for you to extend your support arm shorter does not.  With a 16" barrel you are probably going to want 13-15".  If you go with something like a super slim/ lightweight it will not add a noticeable difference in weight.  Lighter weight equals increased recoil so there is a trade off. That's my opinion anyway.
View Quote

I'd agree with this. Even on my HD rifle I run a longer 15" rail. It allows me to mount lights out front and still be able to grip farther out. When using my 3gun rifle, I like the longer rail for the same reason, but it also allows me to rest the rail on barricades without worrying about putting the barrel against it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 1:27:18 AM EDT
[#3]
nothing wrong with 15" handguard.  If your short, narrow shoulders, short arms then 12" would be enough for yoru reach.  However the 15" still offers barricade advantages and mounting locations.

Tall, long arms, & wide shoulders get 16.5" handguard with 18" barrel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top