Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2016 3:57:12 PM EDT
Just curious. Does anyone run with a 9mm, 16-inch barreled carbine as a 3-gun rifle choice for competition ?  And if so why or why not ?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 4:34:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to run my colt 6450 back in 07, when our club first started 3 gun.The club now shoots up to 300 yds, so a 9mm isn't practical. I really enjoyed the 9mm rifle though, 32 rnd mags that fit in pistol   mag pouches was a bonus.I know for a fact though the recoil of a comped .223 is less then a 9mm blowback AR.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Just Right Carbine in 9mm that I run on ranges with nothing over 100 yards. It's very reliable and one of the most fun guns I have to shoot, especially with a can. Kinda feels like you are getting away with something by not having the blast of a .223. There is no doubt the .223 rifle stays flatter and is easier to shoot faster, though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just curious. Does anyone run with a 9mm, 16-inch barreled carbine as a 3-gun rifle choice for competition ?  And if so why or why not ?  Thank you.
View Quote

There is a new pistol caliber carbine division.  I know almost nothing about it, but it is a thing now.

On a small range bay style match you could run a PCC if the ruleset allows it.  

Most outlaw matches try to incorporate some medium range and you would be pretty much screwed in that scenario.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you had a outlaw match at a indoor or very short range maybe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I just picked up a PSA 16" 9mm carbine I hope to try this summer, the new pistol caliber carbine class seems like it would be fun at a bay type match.

I know a couple of guys and youth who have been hesitant to shoot 3 gun because of their lack of pistol skills, hopefully I can use the carbine as a tool to drag them to a match or two. Some of the pistol stuff we do can really be a challenge for new shooters(and experience ones lol), this should be a nice way to introduce people into the sport.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
3GN has implemented the PCC divisions since 2015.

All major matches where it is recognized have a MAX distance of 100yds and run all the same stages but enjoy different scoring concessions in PCC. All pistol and Shotgun steel as well as Rifle steel with the PCC.

PCC in 3GN works at the Major Regional and Club Series level successfully and is a viable option for the guys who want to shoot the fewest amount of shotgun possible.

3 Divisions

Unlimited
Optics
Irons (true irons no 1X optics)

3GN
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I get squadded with an older guy who runs a 9mm carbine at my local monthly match. It's small bay with the longest distance 100, he does pretty well with it. I've always been a little curious myself, but I don't have one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I see a lot of people at carolina 3 gun run 9mm carbines, they have a division that is all pistol caliber carbines.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the start of mine
AR9MM by John Hermesmeyer, on Flickr
CCMG lower with CMC trigger and Magpul furniture
DPMS slab side upper with JP barrel/Comp/rail
waiting on my JP bolt and silent capture spring
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#10]
At my club we sometimes have our Multigun shoot on the short range,
that's when my SBR MP5 comes out!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
My club has a lot of guys running them. I've seen stags, just rights and the new sig.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot my .45 SBR in 2-gun before, but there are never shots over 100yd, and rarely over 50yd.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:57:57 PM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine went to a regional and said PCC ruled the day.  The rifles had to shoot long range, but PCC had under 100 yard steel targets set up just for them.  Plus they got to shoot some pistol and shotgun steel.  223 with comp may kick less, but 100yd targets vs several hundred yards is the difference between leaning against a barrier while standing vs prone or fully supported position with breathing control.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top