Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2016 11:55:15 PM EDT
I have a few different brakes currently, and they seem to work well for the most part.  I'm still experimenting with a couple.  As a right handed shooter I do tend to get some movement up and to the right, depending on the rifle.  I was thinking that a tunable muzzle brake like the Armalite might be the answer for me.  But before I spend more money I was curious who has had luck clocking their brakes or otherwise tuning them to shoot more neutral?  Anyone have an opinion on the Armalite?  I'm tempted to pick one up but I wish it wasn't quite so long.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:34:46 PM EDT
[#1]
It's the only brake I have used that compares to my SJC Titan brake. Without tuning, it's as good as the SJC, after tuning, it's a little better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Good to hear.  I have one on order.  Looking forward to trying it out and getting it tuned.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's the only brake I have used that compares to my SJC Titan brake. Without tuning, it's as good as the SJC, after tuning, it's a little better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up one of their 13" 3 gun models with the comp pinned at welded to make it a 16" gun.

Very happy with the rifle in general. I drilled the top and right plugs on the comp (as it recommends for right handed shooters), It shot very flat but I found that during rapid fire it was actually pushed my group slightly to the left. I run a JM comp on most of my competition rifles and I wasn't used to the  slight amount of side pressure from the armalite comp.

It didn't take me long to get used too but I might purchase another plug and run the comp with the just the top plug drilled so that It feels the same as my other rifles.

The plugs are pretty inexpensive, you may want to order a couple just incase you drill one and don't like the affect.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I'll try some rapid fire strings before I drill the ports and see how it does.  I'm planning to start pretty small on the drill bit size.  Do you recall what size bit you used?  I went ahead and ordered two of the Armalite comps, so I'm hoping I like them.  I found a few in stock at one place, but otherwise they are almost impossible to find right now.  I'm not sure if they are discontinued or what.  

Quoted:
I picked up one of their 13" 3 gun models with the comp pinned at welded to make it a 16" gun.

Very happy with the rifle in general. I drilled the top and right plugs on the comp (as it recommends for right handed shooters), It shot very flat but I found that during rapid fire it was actually pushed my group slightly to the left. I run a JM comp on most of my competition rifles and I wasn't used to the  slight amount of side pressure from the armalite comp.

It didn't take me long to get used too but I might purchase another plug and run the comp with the just the top plug drilled so that It feels the same as my other rifles.

The plugs are pretty inexpensive, you may want to order a couple just incase you drill one and don't like the affect.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I went with the smallest bit they recommended in the instructions on both of the holes.

Its a god Idea to try it without drilling first, I had my wife run 30 rounds of double taps through it and she pulled left and a little low. She can run rifle with the best of us, so it kind of solidified the comp (or our lack of experience with it) was causing the shift.

On another note, I never thought I would find a comp louder than the JM's but I think the armalite takes that prize... its almost painful when your running a timer beside it. I highly recommend plugs and muffs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I received the first brake today.  It came with both peel and crush washers and the instructions.  It also Included 6 plugs, so I'll have 3 spares if needed.  It's fairly hefty, and probably an inch longer than my other brakes, but hopefully the performance will make up for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 10:21:09 PM EDT
[#7]
SDC360 - I would love to hear more about your experience with the 13.5" Armalite. I am going to order either the 13.5" or the 18" 3Gun Armalite but I am having some trouble making the decision. What made you decide to go with the 13.5 over the 18"?  Really looking forward to your thoughts.  Lots of pro/cons with each as a 4.5" difference is substantial. I like the ability to change muzzle devices if desired with the 18", the approximate 125 FPS velocity increase and some advantage with the one off long distance shots, reduced muzzle flash and noise, increased stability of site picture. The 13.5" lighter weight is nice, advantage in more active 3gun courses. With gas block and muzzle brake tuning I know the 13.5" will be flat shooter as well. However, it does not seem many competitors are willing to go with a 13.5" yet. Rifle length gas system in the 18"  vs carbine length gas system of the 13.3" in 3Gun considerations? Anyone have any thoughts? Really looking for any feedback from folks that have had the opportunity to work with the differences in these barrel lengths lengths in 3Gun and in general. I am 5'7" with short to average arm length so a compact platform is a comfortable fit especially for more active courses.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:25:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone??
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
SDC360 - I would love to hear more about your experience with the 13.5" Armalite. I am going to order either the 13.5" or the 18" 3Gun Armalite but I am having some trouble making the decision. What made you decide to go with the 13.5 over the 18"?  Really looking forward to your thoughts.  Lots of pro/cons with each as a 4.5" difference is substantial. I like the ability to change muzzle devices if desired with the 18", the approximate 125 FPS velocity increase and some advantage with the one off long distance shots, reduced muzzle flash and noise, increased stability of site picture. The 13.5" lighter weight is nice, advantage in more active 3gun courses. With gas block and muzzle brake tuning I know the 13.5" will be flat shooter as well. However, it does not seem many competitors are willing to go with a 13.5" yet. Rifle length gas system in the 18"  vs carbine length gas system of the 13.3" in 3Gun considerations? Anyone have any thoughts? Really looking for any feedback from folks that have had the opportunity to work with the differences in these barrel lengths lengths in 3Gun and in general. I am 5'7" with short to average arm length so a compact platform is a comfortable fit especially for more active courses.
View Quote

I cannot speak to the 13.5", but I have the 18".  It is fantastic!  Sweetest shooting rifle I have ever fired!  I can ping steel at 550 yards with m193.

For the local club 3 gun I think the 18" barrel is too long.  All of the rifle targets are 50 yards and less.  I think I would save time transitioning from target to target with the 13.5" vs the 18".  People have not complained about my brake on the 18".  

I am actually thinking about picking up the 13.5" model one of these days (years).
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Good feedback. Seems like a great competition AR at any price. I am leaning toward the 13.5" as it seems the over all gains on this particular AR are there with the short barrel. The feedback I have read from others is that even when shooting heavier grain weight rounds, the gun can be tuned to effectively manage the recoil even with the 13.5" barrel and a weight of 6.9 pounds. I don't tend to like pinned and welded muzzle brakes as it is not easy to swap out if not agreeable, but this unit gets reviewed as a top notch brake by everyone. I would imagine the sound may be a bit obnoxious with the 13.5" barrel though. Are you using a red dot with no magnification during 3gun events on that rifle?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 2:05:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I received the first brake today.  It came with both peel and crush washers and the instructions.  It also Included 6 plugs, so I'll have 3 spares if needed.  It's fairly hefty, and probably an inch longer than my other brakes, but hopefully the performance will make up for it.
View Quote

Mine just arrived this week as well. You think that's a peel washer? I don't see any way to "peel" it. The only instructions were for drilling the tuning plugs.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:38:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried to heat it up, but I couldn't get it to peel at all, so it might not be.  I ended up using the crush washer to install mine.  Where did you get yours from?  They seem to be out of stock everywhere I look.  

Quoted:

Mine just arrived this week as well. You think that's a peel washer? I don't see any way to "peel" it. The only instructions were for drilling the tuning plugs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I tried to heat it up, but I couldn't get it to peel at all, so it might not be.  I ended up using the crush washer to install mine.  Where did you get yours from?  They seem to be out of stock everywhere I look.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

DSG Arms

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Same here, I actually bought two from them.  I think we got the last few that they had.  

Quoted:

DSG Arms

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

DSG Arms

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... Are you using a red dot with no magnification during 3gun events on that rifle?
View Quote

Essentially, yes.  My scope is the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6. Great scope for a great rifle!  For my local 3g events I leave it on the 1 power with the red dot turned on.  The setup is so nice, it feels like cheating.  For other shooting events I do change the power depending on the distance.

My rifle setup is over kill for my local 3gun events, but, that is okay, right?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a nice scope, about the cost of the AR itself! I considered getting a small basic no magnification holographic/Red Dot to use for short target stages and a separate 1-6 magnification scope. Perhaps that is not the best strategy however. I was budgeting $300 to $400 for optics. Any recommendations on best options in this price point for a 1-6 mag red dot optic? Based on the local 3Gun events you have shot with your 18 inch Armalite AR, any thoughts on what you predict might be Pros/Cons had you been running the stage with the 13.5" version?
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Using a red dot and a magnified optic will put you in open class.  For your budget I'd take a look at the Vortex Strike Eagle.  It is quickly becoming the standard for entry level 3 gun scopes.  

Quoted:
That is a nice scope, about the cost of the AR itself! I considered getting a small basic no magnification holographic/Red Dot to use for short target stages and a separate 1-6 magnification scope. Perhaps that is not the best strategy however. I was budgeting $300 to $400 for optics. Any recommendations on best options in this price point for a 1-6 mag red dot optic? Based on the local 3Gun events you have shot with your 18 inch Armalite AR, any thoughts on what you predict might be Pros/Cons had you been running the stage with the 13.5" version?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2016 10:32:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Here is a vido on how to tune the Armalite 3 Gun Muzzle Brake

Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/19/2016 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Anybody see these in stock anywhere right now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here is a vido on how to tune the Armalite 3 Gun Muzzle Brake

https://youtu.be/ScwaOQzplpo

Anybody see these in stock anywhere right now?

Magic 8 ball says "Outlook not so good".

I'm looking for another one as well, I'll let you know if I find them.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry I took so long to get back with ya, got kind of lost in the weeds.

I don't think you could go wrong with either rifle.

I love the shorter rifle for fast bay type matches but I also shot it at the FN match with a 1-4 optic out to 400 yards or so with no issues. Don't let the shorter barrel and small loss of velocity con you into thinking your in anyway sacrificing accuracy. Mine shoots moa with 193 all day.

I have an 18" rock river 3 gun rifle that is without a doubt the most accurate rifle in my safe.... but it seems to stay in the safe because the Armalite is so much fun to shoot.

One drawback would be that it wouldn't allow you to fully extend your support arm, if your that type of shooter, but its so light it doesn't take much force to push from target to target.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:37:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I love the shorter rifle for fast bay type matches but I also shot it at the FN match with a 1-4 optic out to 400 yards or so with no issues. Don't let the shorter barrel and small loss of velocity con you into thinking your in anyway sacrificing accuracy. Mine shoots moa with 193 all day.

I have an 18" rock river 3 gun rifle that is without a doubt the most accurate rifle in my safe.... but it seems to stay in the safe because the Armalite is so much fun to shoot.

One drawback would be that it wouldn't allow you to fully extend your support arm, if your that type of shooter, but its so light it doesn't take much force to push from target to target.
View Quote

No problem on the delay. Are you able to get hits pinging steel targets with the 13.5 out to 500 yards or more? Are you finding there is significantly more drop compensation required compared to your 18 inch rifles? Regarding fully extending the support arm, I am 5 foot 7 inches tall with average length arms so I think a close to full extension may be possible with the 12 inch hand guard length. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I shot FN last year and had no problems hitting steel with it at 400+ yards... other than the stage you had to use a boat winch as your rest.....

I've shot it at 500 in the backyard with no issues. I stick almost exclusively to 193, mine doesn't require anything special as far as ammo goes to get good performance.

I did notice a little difference in the drop compensation. with my 18" R3 I place the "dots"  in my burris right on the center of the target to get hits, shooting the armalite I've found holding on top of the target past 200 yards works well. Its not a huge deal but is slightly different.  

I moved to a 1-6 on the R3 but kept the trusty 1-4 on the armalite, the smaller optic just seemed to fit the rifle better. The rifle would make a superb tac irons gun for bay matches with simply a red dot on it.  

As far as extended arm shooting, I've actually started to pull my arm in a little. To me it just feels more comfortable and I feel like I have a little more control. Not every stance works for every shooter so I wouldn't worry about it to much unless the rifle just doesn't "feel" right to you.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:29:59 PM EDT
[#25]
DSG has the Armalite brakes back in stock.  2 left
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:46:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've had others recommend the RRA R3 over the M153GN18, what's the pros and cons and is the RRA that much more accurate?
Link Posted: 5/13/2016 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I've had others recommend the RRA R3 over the M153GN18, what's the pros and cons and is the RRA that much more accurate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RRA is almost scary accurate even with plain old 193, 5 rounds in a paister at 100 yards with a 6x scope, using the tailgate as a rest accurate.  I have it coupled with a aero precision lower and a hyperfire trigger. I think you can save a little cash building your own lower instead of taking the RRA lower with he two stage trigger in it... never been a fan of two stage for 3 gun. I also pulled their comp off and replaced it with a JM, nothing against their comp I just like the JM's.

The pros are that its just plain accurate, it runs like a top and I don't have to worry about match grade ammo. I know that its me, not the rifle, if I drop a long range target.

The cons would be that its a heavier gun, I have the 13.5 armalite and there's a significant difference in weight. not sure about it as compared the 18" armalite.  It also has a very "thick" rail, almost beer can thick. I've contemplated pulling the rail off and replacing it with a thinner one but I really don't want to touch the gun in any way knowing it shoots so good. It also doesn't have an adjustable gas system but its weight and length make it a pretty soft gun to shoot.

Also if your friends with an FFL the dealer cost on the RRA is significantly less than the price listed for retail sale on RRA's website. I'm thinking I build the whole rig, minus optics, for around $1200. That's with the chrome bolt carrier and bcm latch.

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 1:56:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I've heard both rifles are extremely accurate with match grade ammo but I have also been told the Armalite 3gn18 is just insanely accurate. Bad news is I cannot find an Armalite 3gn18 for sale anywhere, and I mean anywhere!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top