Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2015 3:27:03 PM EDT
Currently have a Strike Eagle, but sort of wishing the glass was better. Thinking about going up to the Gen 2 Razor 1-6x, and was wondering what y'all thought about the JM reticle or just getting the Mil one.
Also... is a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 or 2.5-10x42 a decent scope for 3 gun? Was thinking either offset irons or red dot for close distance shooting.

And now the LMOS... it seems tons of 3 gunners recommend getting a low mass bolt carrier. I'm looking at the JP one for about $200, but do I also need to get the JP bolt for it to work? Currently just have a PSA Premium BCG in my rifle. And what JP spring/buffer would I need for a rifle extension buffer tube?
I'd love to go LMOS with my adjustable gas block to see what improvements it can offer, but just wondering about the cost/benefit of one.

Much thanks in advance for any sage advice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:50:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Currently have a Strike Eagle, but sort of wishing the glass was better. Thinking about going up to the Gen 2 Razor 1-6x, and was wondering what y'all thought about the JM reticle or just getting the Mil one.
Also... is a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 or 2.5-10x42 a decent scope for 3 gun? Was thinking either offset irons or red dot for close distance shooting.

And now the LMOS... it seems tons of 3 gunners recommend getting a low mass bolt carrier. I'm looking at the JP one for about $200, but do I also need to get the JP bolt for it to work? Currently just have a PSA Premium BCG in my rifle. And what JP spring/buffer would I need for a rifle extension buffer tube?
I'd love to go LMOS with my adjustable gas block to see what improvements it can offer, but just wondering about the cost/benefit of one.

Much thanks in advance for any sage advice.
View Quote

Standard bolts work fine with the JP LMOS.
You don't have to use the JP spring, but it's an option. You would need a rifle length spring (obviously). If you're asking about their silent captured spring, I'm not too familiar with it but the web page says it works with either carbine or rifle.

You can also use a light buffer, like the one from  Taccom:

http://www.tacticallink.com/Taccom-Ultra-Lightweight-Carbine-Buffer-for-AR15.html

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The red dot on your rifle with put you in Unlimited/Open.  If you are shooting open, perfect.

A scope with 2.5x on the low end is probably not the best for 3 gun.  The offset sights are most beneficial when you go from far targets to near targets and back.  You can set the scope for whatever power is needed for the far targets and instead of moving it back to 1X and then back to 4X, you can save a little time going to the offset sights.

I've found that the red dot is good for something the size of a USPSA metric target out to 40 yards.  Beyond that, the scope works best.

But on stages where everything is close and i do not need to vary the scope magnification, I put my scope on 1X and find it better for most shots.  My scope has daylight illumination so at 1X its almost like a Cmore.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/27/2015 4:25:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top