Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2014 11:44:41 AM EDT

I just started shooting 3 gun this year with what I had on hand, a bone stock Colt 6920 for the rifle. I see a lot of competitors running upper with an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system and a 15" hand guard. I have a Noveske Lower with a JP adjustable trigger and springs that currently sports an upper with a RRA 24" HB and a Hogue 15" hand guard. I'm happy with the trigger and like the length of the hand guard but the whole thing weighs in at 13.5 lbs. very accurate but heavier than I want to try and run stages with. I've been looking into 3 gun uppers and had pretty much settled on the Stag 3G, for the price I don't think I could build a much better one. So, there's the apple.

Here's the oranges, before ordering the Stag I decided to see what was available on the EE and come across two uppers that caught my attention. For approx. the same price as the Stag there is a VLTOR MUR1-A receiver with a saber defense 18 inch fluted barrel, mid length 5.56, 1/8 twist stainless steel with a BCM KMR 13' handguard. Is the SD barrel comparable or better than the Stag and will I miss the 2" additional length of the Stag hand guard?

The other upper that caught my attention is completely different and a little more money, a Noveske/Vltor upper, it's a monolithic upper with a 12" rail and has a 16"  barrel. will the Noveske barrel be as accurate at 300 yards as the other's 18" barrels" and will I be limited by the 12" rail when shooting 3gun matches.
Thanks for your input and opinions.

G D
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Why not take one of your uppers and put an 18" Nordic barrel on it and run with it.

Nordic Barrel
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I've looked at the Nordic barrels and some others but by the time I purchase a gas block, hand guard etc. that I like I'm close to the cost of a complete upper.

Does anyone have experience with the comparable accuracy between the Stag and the sabre barrels?

Thanks, G D
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
"an upper with a RRA 24" HB and a Hogue 15" hand guard"

Have that barrel shortened and re-profiled at ADCO and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Jesse and Dog, Thanks for your responses. I opted for the Stag 3g, it has the rifle length gas system and a 15" hand guard, and it was on sale through one of the vendors here on ARFCOM.
I wanted to keep the upper with the 24" HB for long range shooting.

The Eastern Nebraska Gun Club will be hosting another 3 gun event later this month so I'll get a chance to put it through its paces.

G D
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Any recommendations for a better compensator for the Stag? Does it make a difference if your shooting right or left handed?

Thanks, G D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top