Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2014 5:44:31 PM EDT
I have been catching up and watching 3 Gun Nation.
The one show I was watching there was a swinger target.
It did not work, it was a malfunction, on the range prop!
It has been a few years sense I shot IDPA or IPSC.
Never shot 3 gun as it is shown on this show.
My question is, when I did run a match. If a prop did not work the way it should.
The shooter had the chose to re-shoot or take the score. Our prop! We let them walk!
On the 3 Gun Nation the shooters had to take a re-shoot!  
Is this rule been changed for IDPA and IPSC Or just for the 3 gun matches?
Or maybe it was our local rule???

Thanks!!!

PS Hope I posted this in the right thread.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about 3GN rules,  but under USPSA rules a reshoot is mandatory in the event of range equipment failure. The only time a shooter gets to choose whether to reshoot or not is in the case of RO/external interference (e.g. the RO bumps the shooter). Even then, the shooter has to decide before seeing their time/score.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
With ammo still not being as easily available as it once was, many shooters will not want a reshoot.

Have had it happen to me were a steel popper fell due to the wind before I got to it. It was the longest stage of the day, and it didn't really mess with my time or give me an advantage (club level match, no prizes), so I just shot at it so I didn't get a FTE, and moved on. I also heard the steel drop so I knew about it before I got to it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes! At our club the shooter did have to shoot at
malfunctioning target! That part I also remember.
We all ways considered our prop not working is not the fault
of the shooter.
Runs a good time! No mistakes! Why should the shooter have to
run it again? The show I watched, they had trouble with that an another
prop. So why is the shooter penalized?
This does not IMHO, seam fair!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]
The 3GN Pro series does not have any moving targets for this reason.  The only times I can remember there being a reshoot at a Pro Series match is because a target fell down/wasn't reset or timer malfunction.  This is part of the reason they keep things simple, to stay on time and keep things fair.  Although moving targets are fun.

Major Outlaw 3 Gun matches, especially the ones that have very long stages, you often just keep shooting if there is a range equipment malfunction.  Just shoot at where the target should have been.  While not completely fair this keeps things on schedule.  Multiple reshoots on a stage that can last several minutes isn't good.  

The last USPSA 3-Gun Nationals I shot, where range equipment failure means a mandatory reshoot, we had a problem target on one stage.  There were 9 reshoots on our squad for that one stage because the activator kept breaking.  One guy reshot it 4 times and I reshot it twice.  We were there very late, and since I flew to the match I had to drive around and find more ammo to buy to shoot the next day with.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:13:20 PM EDT
[#5]
OL 3gun, it's your lucky day, keep going ,

or maybe not, some guys it really messes up their run.

Most OL 3gun, you don't have time to do a lot of reshoots. Barely can get everybody shot through before dark
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I went back and looked at the episode of 09/28/2013
The first shooter they showed  who's swinger did not work
was told he had to take a re-shoot! (That what is said on the video!)
The second shooter who's swinger did not work
was asked, did he want a re-shoot?
One did worse one got a better time.
If the shooter wants a re-shoot! Because of range malfunction!
Hay give them one, But to make them???????
Someone said here about time, how long re-shoots take.
This was a big match I believe! You would think that time would be important to them!!!
Thanks! Moving on now!

PITA45

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:51:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot many different matches, and sometimes it is a re-shoot sometimes it is not.

Different matches, different rules.

I shoot mostly Outlaw 3 Gun matches, I always find it funny, when a Competitor will become. a Rule lawyer, and state rules from every shooting sport known.

But has to come to the reality that This Match is not,,, any of those matches. and the rules are different.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The way it was explained to me by Shannon Smith at Universal Shooting Academy was this. If it's a monthly or small match without prizes, it's up to the shooter. If it's a big match with a prize table, it can be a manditory reshoot.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top