Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 9:09:28 AM EDT
At a recent club series match, a competitor (new to action shooting) was shooting a club stage in which he shot the rifle portion and properly grounded his rifle without issue, then drew his pistol and shot the pistol portion and grounded his pistol in the designated box, then started to head over to where his shotgun was staged. Well, after he grounded his pistol properly, he realized he did not engage a pistol target, so proceeded to pick his pistol back up from the box. When he did, the RO DQ'd him. Is that right?

I was not there to witness this, first hand. I am wanting to know if picking up a grounded pistol is a penalty. I am failing to find something in the rules about this, but I may just be overlooking something.

Can I get a clarification from someone more experienced than myself on the issue?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:

Typically once you ground the gun you can't reuse it.  I don't know why it would be a DQ though.  I can't recall anything in the rules that I have read regarding this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JesseTischauser:
Originally Posted By DavidKinsley:
At a recent club series match, a competitor (new to action shooting) was shooting a club stage in which he shot the rifle portion and properly grounded his rifle without issue, then drew his pistol and shot the pistol portion and grounded his pistol in the designated box, then started to head over to where his shotgun was staged. Well, after he grounded his pistol properly, he realized he did not engage a pistol target, so proceeded to pick his pistol back up from the box. When he did, the RO DQ'd him. Is that right?

I was not there to witness this, first hand. I am wanting to know if picking up a grounded pistol is a penalty. I am failing to find something in the rules about this, but I may just be overlooking something.

Can I get a clarification from someone more experienced than myself on the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Typically once you ground the gun you can't reuse it.  I don't know why it would be a DQ though.  I can't recall anything in the rules that I have read regarding this.

Could have been a club rule. I have seen clubs that make you empty any gun you ground if you are going to move forward of were you ground it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't see how or why that would be a DQ.
What I've seen is the following
Once you turn loose of it , you can't pick it back up.
You can pick back up, as long as you've not fired a shot from the next gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 10:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Flatland_Shooter] [#4]
Since we are permitted to re-holster and use the pistol later in the stage, why would we not be permitted to retrieve a gun as long  as its done safely?

Actually I've never seen it done but would like to know for my own education.  Someday I may need to try it.

Bill
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top