Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2013 4:16:30 PM EDT
I was approached by a friend (who does not shoot 3G) wanting me to buy his 930. I am in the market for a new shotgun for competition. However, my problem is that the barrel is ported and I do not want to compete in OPEN division. Can I take my barrel clamp and over the ports and still compete in Tac Irons? Sorry but Im a newbie to 3 gunning and want to get rid of my pump. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think that would work. Others have tried that.  Mossberg does sell non-ported barrels that aren't on the website for around $160 shipped. I'll find the part #s and phone # to order. I just got mine a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 9:32:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StealthyBlagga] [#2]
I'd politely decline and get a gun that meets your needs from the get go. Whatever you save on the gun initially, you will spend making the gun the way you really want it. Frankly, with all the horror stories I've heard (and seen) with the Mossberg, I'd recommend you either save some $$$ and buy a used Remington 11-87 (~$400), or spend a little extra and get a new Versa Max Sportsman (~$750).
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Non-ported 22" vent rib barrel part #100269MT, 24" part #100270MT. Phone # (800)363-3555. Both are non-ported and use standard Mossberg chokes. You will need to reuse or buy another gas piston.
Link Posted: 9/25/2013 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have heard of some cutting a pop can into a square patch and clamping it down with the barrel clamp.  Others have said that they did not secure it enough and it blew hot gasses back in there face.

I just got a 930 JM pro last week and only one issue and they are fixing it quickly with a part mailed to me.  All in all I wouldn't purchase a used semi over my gun, even knowing what problems there might have been.

Shot a DMG match Saturday and it worked great.
Link Posted: 9/26/2013 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Tagging for pics for later, I have a 930 PF that I covered the ports on.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have hear of quite a few people just covering the ports. I wish I could find a JM but they are about liking trying to find a unicorn. I think I will just but this and cover the ports for now. If need be, I can always buy an extra barrel and use the ported for hunting and trap shooting. Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:36:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Trevorgriz:
I have hear of quite a few people just covering the ports. I wish I could find a JM but they are about liking trying to find a unicorn. I think I will just but this and cover the ports for now. If need be, I can always buy an extra barrel and use the ported for hunting and trap shooting. Thanks everyone for the input, much appreciated.
View Quote

Cover the ports and shoot, the only place you may have problems is a USPSA match with some range lawyers, I highly doubt any outlaw macth would bump you to open.
My son and I both shot 930's with never a problem, we have since moved to open with the MKA 1919
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top