Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 4:00:44 AM EDT
Hey i have tried finding somthing to help my particular situation and figured I would just post.
3gun Divisions. I have never done 3gun pretty intimidated. I cant figured out where i fall in the divisions.
Unlimited, Practical, Factory, Heavy Sport, Heavy Optics, Unlimited PCC, Heavy PCC, Irons PCC.
No clue thats all chinese to me.

What am I to expect?
I have an AR 15, PSA upper, Stag Arms Lower. Will be installing gazelle 3g trigger tommorow. Luepold Green dot think its a 3x9 scope, with EOtech, but havnt been able to feel comforatable with the eotech so it may be out of the question. But I also have a new competition upper that i may switch to and bring the PSA for back up.

JM pro 930 that i have no time behind but have heard that its a beast out the box.

And Centry Arms Canik 9mm 18+1. Holster if in by the time of the match will be Aliengear mod outside the waist band.

I first need help signing up. Second I have read up and watching many youtube videos it all seems foreign to me. I still shoot actively CC so this is going to be an experience.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I decided to go with Unlimited, due to the dual optics on my rifle, Red dot on my piston. Any advice otherwise?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure what unlimited division is. I didn't find it in the USPSA or 3gun Nation rules, maybe I missed it. But if you're going to use a 3 x 9 and an EOTECH on your rifle, that is going to put you in open.

To start, know your zeros, know where your guns hit at different ranges. 9mm is pretty flat to 50 yds out of a pistol, I zero my slugs at 50 yds, and .223 is pretty flat to 300 yds. And make sure your guns are reliable. At my last match, in just my squad, I think a third of the guys had problems with at least one gun. Non zeroed and unreliable guns can totally tank your match. When actually preparing for a stage, have a plan.....I'm going to shoot this group of targets from this position, this array from this position and so on. Decide which targets get shot first, second, third and so on. If you're starting a stage with a gun on a table, look at it, that's your first target. Don't be looking at the pretty scenery, look at your gun.  Don't crowd barricades and watch your limit lines (foot faults). Take some deep breaths at your make ready, try to relax, and HAVE FUN!
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#3]
1) Before you go to the match, read and follow the advice above - in particular, make sure all your guns are vetted for reliability and zero. If you have never shot the Mossberg 930, try to put at least a box of your chosen birdshot through it to get familiar... that platform can be very hit-or-miss in terms of reliability, and better to find out before the match.
2) Make sure all your guns are UNLOADED and CASED before you enter the range.
3) When you arrive at the match, leave all your guns in their cases and in your vehicle. Go to registration and tell the official there that you have never shot 3-Gun (or any kind of action shooting event, if that is the case). Ask them to assign an experienced shooter to babysit you through your first match. This will help you get through the event safely and in compliance with the rules... your number one goal for this first match is to avoid getting disqualified for a safety violation, or worse.
4) Shoot in Unlimited or Open division (depending on what rules the match is running). After you get a few matches under your belt, you will have a much better understanding of what division you ultimately want to land in.
5) Think about your approach to each stage, don't take any risks, and HAVE FUN... that is, after all, why you are there. Try to learn from watching the more experienced shooters.

The learning curve in 3-Gun is incredibly steep. You can improve your performance by shooting as many matches as you can find, especially USPSA pistol matches (which dwarfs 3-Gun in availability).

Lastly, check out this INTRODUCTION TO 3-GUN TRAINING PRESENTATION... lots of useful wisdom here (though the equipment rules may not match your local match exactly).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top