Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2017 8:48:28 PM EDT
I'm wondering if the amount of light matters. I don't have NV, so full moon helps, but not if the hogs won't come out.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#1]
With hogs who knows when they will show up. When they are pressured they are much harder to pattern than a whitetail deer. One thing that seems to help them move here is moisture, not a hard rain but some gentle rain or fog. Worms and grubs move closer to the surface when the moisture rises in the soil. A crosstie with lots of creosote refreshed by diesel fuel seems to hold them well. They can't help to itch on it. A feeder light placed weeks before you decide to hunt is another aid. Every little thing you can use to stack the odds in your favor helps.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm wondering if the amount of light matters. I don't have NV, so full moon helps, but not if the hogs won't come out.
View Quote

Where in TX? What equipment are you hunting with? How big is the property? Feeders? Crops? Can offer some insight but need more details.

Very generally speaking, I have seen more activity on full-moon nights.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never had much success on the night of the full moon. I've always done well 2-3 days before and 2-3 days after the full moon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 4:42:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never been able to pattern them with respect to the moon phase.

That being said, you have to be extra careful during a full moon. If you can see them, they can see you.  Gotta be extra sneaky.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Where in TX? What equipment are you hunting with? How big is the property? Feeders? Crops? Can offer some insight but need more details.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@35Remington South TX near Victoria. Couple hundred acres of grazing land. Couple feeders and stands. Using my AK.

We went out during the last full moon. Lots of tracks and dug up land, but no hogs. A ton of deer.

We think it was probably due to the high wind at the time. Planning on going back but wanted to plan around environmental factors like moon and weather.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Very high wind and dead calm seems to slow the action a lot. I havent noticed anytging with the moon. Rain brings them out to the pastures.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:02:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@35Remington South TX near Victoria. Couple hundred acres of grazing land. Couple feeders and stands. Using my AK.

We went out during the last full moon. Lots of tracks and dug up land, but no hogs. A ton of deer.

We think it was probably due to the high wind at the time. Planning on going back but wanted to plan around environmental factors like moon and weather.
View Quote
I have hunted as close as Schulenberg.  Moon has not deterred them there, nor winds.  It could be completely situational—right now you have a sample size of 1 night.  If you can set up a camera, that will tell you much more.  I end up making spreadsheets to graph their activity and predict potentially successful nights.  Thermal and night vision don't hurt either, but people hunted with rifles and flashlights just fine for years and years.

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Agree with 35Remington.  Full moon does bring activity, but it also takes a night blind animal and gives them better sight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:19:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Ranch Fairy Here.
The moon is a significant indicator of pig activity.  If you are using thermal or night vision only, try what I suggest here, but be sure to be hunting the first few hours of dark.  "Moons up, pigs up!" is what I say!  So, the 10 days leading up to the full moon is magic.  I wrote a short blog about this.  So fun, so FUN!

Here's the URL:  https://ranchfairy.wordpress.com/2017/04/14/hunting-pigs-in-the-daytime/

We have a ranch in Texas and I put a ton of people on them.  If you have any questions hit me up here or on email
[email protected]

Finally, here's a little pig whacking chaos for your enjoyment using the moon phase to make the daytime fun - more fun!!!
https://youtu.be/t2jADfPykSU

- Ranch Fairy Out
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've never had much success on the night of the full moon. I've always done well 2-3 days before and 2-3 days after the full moon.
View Quote
Full moon with clear skies has skunked me many times.  Especially in pastures, I know people say a hog's vision is poor but I swear they have spotted me out in the open with full moons.  Other nights I have walked up to within 10-15 yards using night vision. 

ETA: that said I don't see much difference on the game cameras activity wise honestly 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top