Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 2:55:31 PM EDT
So, the usual place in southern GA where we go hog hunting just had a forest fire... Next time we plan to go is in November...  Do you think we will be affected by this? 
The outfitter has a few feeders but mostly baits along the tracks and openings.  We were there in March and had good hunt - plenty of hogs there, great people, so we already put a deposit on November. We would love to continue supporting them, by we drive 1000 miles one way to hog hunt and if the area is going to be affected in a long run, would rather reroute while there is still time

What do you think?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a small forest fire on my property last year due to a lightning strike on a tall pine tree.
Two days later I put a game camera out there and that same night I had deer, turkey and hogs come by.  
About a week later it was all back to normal with regular deer, turkey traffic and hogs coming to root.
People have told me turkeys will come as soon as it's cooled off and stop smoldering.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 4:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless the whole county burned, they'll be back better than ever. I would give him a call this summer, just in case. Where we hunt, a fire makes the hunting better.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Plenty of time for fresh vegetation and undergrowth to fill in for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#4]
ok, thanks for replies...

it is a big fire though

http://www.ajc.com/weather/georgia-residents-warned-prepare-okefenokee-fire-grows/Xnaqb7Kth42OUZO1H2kx4J/
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind that nomadic boars and sounders may travel 5-7 miles during the night so they won't have any problem travelling through a large burned area.  Most people consider few months after the fire the best time to hunt the area as it will be full of new and tender green growth attracting many games.  Most forest require periodic fire by nature to makes many seeds to sprout and new growth to develop.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:10:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Hogs and Turkey love to come in after a fresh fire to eat all the nuts opened and dead stuff from the fire.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:42:40 AM EDT
[#7]
The controlled burns down here don't seem to bother the hogs. About the only thing that really moves them here is dogs or the helicopter shooting them. Now if they stumble across a food source that's not got a lot of danger. They may not leave until it's gone. Another thing your not taken into account is when it gets restocked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top