Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 12:23:56 PM EDT
Hey all.

I am looking to do a hog hunt at a canned style preserve. I'm looking for some input on what to use, given my choices.

I want to use either my 25-06 rifle or 300 Blackout on my AR platform. What would be your choice and why? I could also go with my 8mm Mauser M-48, Mosin Nagant, 357 mag 6" revolver or a 1911.

Thoughts?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Any of those would work just fine if you understand the limits of the ammo you'd use and your accuracy level. If your going for quantity use your blackout or standard AR if you have one. For fun or novelty, one of the handguns. All of your bolt guns would work if you just wanted to be sure to get meat.

No matter what you choose, shoot them in the neck or brain and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:16:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything there will take down a pig, but some are not the greatest choices.    I have personally shot and hit a boar from 6 feet with a 357 and it did not stop it.   We found the bullet later (after a .308 brought it down) under the grissel layer stopped next to the bone.      I have seen many hogs hit by a 45 ACP and not even slowed down.    Probably would have died later, but they did not DRT.

I have had zero issues or lost pigs with both a 7.62x39 and with a 308.     For the former I use Federal Fusion, or some other hard nosed round.
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 10:50:59 PM EDT
[#3]
blackout with 110gr or 125gr Noslers. Aim for the head or neck. DRT
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Which ever one you can shoot the best over different ranges... sense you're paying for the hunt I wouldn't take the pistol for a primary arm until your confident enough to not ask what weapon you need. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:32:32 PM EDT
[#5]
You what ever you are most accurate with.  Almost any caliber within reason will put down a hog as long as you can hit accurately.  My rule of thumb is the shooters skill to hit 3 clay bird in a row...the longest distance you can hit 3 clay birds in the row is the max distance you should shoot with the particular weapon.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses. I need to get to the rifle range soon, see which feel right and shoots best. I just finished the 300 Blackout and have zero time with the caliber, let alone knowing how it shoots. Back when I purchased the 25/06, it was going to be my go to rifle. It's a super flat shooter that I am accurate with. I need range time with this too. I haven't shot it in years and just recently picked up some new ammunition that I'm not familiar with.

Right now I'm still feeling this out, knowing that I need range time. The boar hunt has been on my bucket list for awhile now. Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top