Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:39:47 PM EDT
[#1]
If land you own then start doing hog hunts. People will pay to go shoot hogs. Sadly where I am not many hogs and I don't own any land to shoot them. Not sure about the traps since you would only get a few unless you build a cage type where they can only get in one way and cannot get out. Which takes a lot to do. Even with the feeder in the middle.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:34:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Wild Hog Trapping | (17) M.I.N.E.™ Trapping System before June Planting | JAGER PRO™

GO TO THERE WEB all you need how to vids free
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.bullcreekblinds.com/wild-hog-trap/game-changer-jr/

I have a Jager Pro and it's pretty good but I really like this one and how easy it is to set up.
Game Changer Highlight Reel

I have caught over 250 hogs with the Jager Pro. But it's a bit of a pain to set up by just me and my wife. I have not had a hog pic sense December 2.

So I'd say it works, my buddy has caught 102 last month with his Jager Pro.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
We built one out at my old lease using pallets, t-posts, and bialing wire, and had planned to use a old square trap door.  We set up tree stands all around it but never got to use it.  I bet it would have worked great though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
anybody with any type of trapping experience will tell ya that its not necessarily the type of trap but where and how you set/run it. Now, a box trap is gonna limit you on numbers caught due to size, are illegal in some states, and you can catch a deer in it and that kinda sucks...bad.

I run corral type traps built from horse panels. If I run the trap correctly, that being baiting daily and checking cameras daily (could use wireless cam but I have no service in most areas and I still have to bait daily), then I can allow the entire sounder it get comfie before I set the trap to catch them. I have ran corral types incorrectly, and by that I mean bait it, set it, and hope more than one wonders in. If the trap is large enough, the bait is placed correctly in the trap, and enough piglets are hungry, then you can catch 26 at one time.....yeah, I got a wee bit lucky.

Traps are the most effective way to eradicate hogs when done correctly. Then you have to convince the S.O. to allow you to purchase a thermal for those trap smart hogs.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
anybody with any type of trapping experience will tell ya that its not necessarily the type of trap but where and how you set/run it. Now, a box trap is gonna limit you on numbers caught due to size, are illegal in some states, and you can catch a deer in it and that kinda sucks...bad.

I run corral type traps built from horse panels. If I run the trap correctly, that being baiting daily and checking cameras daily (could use wireless cam but I have no service in most areas and I still have to bait daily), then I can allow the entire sounder it get comfie before I set the trap to catch them. I have ran corral types incorrectly, and by that I mean bait it, set it, and hope more than one wonders in. If the trap is large enough, the bait is placed correctly in the trap, and enough piglets are hungry, then you can catch 26 at one time.....yeah, I got a wee bit lucky.

Traps are the most effective way to eradicate hogs when done correctly. Then you have to convince the S.O. to allow you to purchase a thermal for those trap smart hogs.
View Quote
True that!
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
This might be the best advice I've ever seen given on AR15.  Well put on all accounts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:21:18 AM EDT
[#8]
My experience is that trapping hogs for fun turns into a job real fast.   A nasty, gross, job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My experience is that trapping hogs for fun turns into a job real fast.   A nasty, gross, job.
View Quote
But oh so rewarding!
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
There are many fine hog traps on the market. I prefer a homemade type we call a figure six. They can be large enough to put a feeder and water trough in.

We acclimate them for about a week before we set the spring panel.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Got ten last night. My new panels seem to work.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#12]
What do you do with the ones you trap?
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
When it's cool weather we donate some to the senior citizens. But they informed me after 102 this year they are tired of wild pork. Those went into the compost pile to grow next year's vegetables. Attachment Attached File

Caught three more last night. I got a little sow fattening in another pen. She should be up around 150 or so by the time it cools off.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:30:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When it's cool weather we donate some to the senior citizens. But they informed me after 102 this year they are tired of wild pork. Those went into the compost pile to grow next year's vegetables. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232954/2017-07-03-21-245935.JPG
Caught three more last night. I got a little sow fattening in another pen. She should be up around 150 or so by the time it cools off.
View Quote
Do you keep them awhile or just kill them right away? I always wondered if people feed them up awhile before they get slaughtered.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do you keep them awhile or just kill them right away? I always wondered if people feed them up awhile before they get slaughtered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When it's cool weather we donate some to the senior citizens. But they informed me after 102 this year they are tired of wild pork. Those went into the compost pile to grow next year's vegetables. https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/232954/2017-07-03-21-245935.JPG
Feeding corn does help give them a better flavor. In the fall when acorns are present they have a better flavor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#16]
http://www.thatsahogtrap.com/about

These guys are local here and catch quite a few. Designed and built traps to catch hogs to sell. Then started selling traps too.

My dad traps quite a few. Used to use large box type traps5x6x10 or so with drop gates. He's transitioned to pen style traps. Built a gate section and made panels that pin together with 3/4" rod. Use as many or as few panels as you need and whatever shape you want.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:39:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://www.thatsahogtrap.com/about

These guys are local here and catch quite a few. Designed and built traps to catch hogs to sell. Then started selling traps too.

My dad traps quite a few. Used to use large box type traps5x6x10 or so with drop gates. He's transitioned to pen style traps. Built a gate section and made panels that pin together with 3/4" rod. Use as many or as few panels as you need and whatever shape you want.
View Quote
Yeah Alfords metal is making one like that here with saloon gates. Only thing I see is it needs to be a bit larger. But I love the design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top