Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2017 1:25:41 PM EDT
Ok so after much anticipation, research, long nights making up reasons and excuses I'm ready if it's appropriate timing to make a purchase.

Night predator hunting mainly coyotes
Mainly field terrain and minimal woods shooting
Shot target range generally <100 yards, would like signature at 3-400 yards
Currently found a starter setup using a Photon XT ($450) and Pulsar LD19a (~$1400)
Ideal setup would be scanner aside from gun as I would also like the possibility of thermal tracking deer for fellow residents after poor shot or late night shots.

Any new products I should wait on for release later this year that fall in my budget with great expectations??

So any better options? May have a great "hookup" on flir products, any comps in the flir lineup to be same money or close. Should I stay on track with my thoughts of setup or move to a clip on where I would need to set it front of my scope and just get a better thermal monocular for scanning?

I'd be willing to move the money up to $2500 but if not significant advantages then wouldn't see the reason as of course I'll be wanting the dvr for recording, helmet, ammo lol etc

I'll add info as I'm sure I have forgot something
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:32:30 PM EDT
[#1]
For a cheap night vision scope I've been very pleased with my Photon XT 4.6x.  With a good illuminator (and the one it comes with is actually pretty good) you can shoot out a couple hundred yards.  It powers up very quickly...I would guess ~ 1 second (which is nice because a lot of options out there take longer).  When predator hunting that quick startup time could be really helpful.  It also has a video output which is nice...for a bit more money you can get a mini dvr and record your shots.

Can't help you with thermal though...
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you
What IR have you went with and cost?  How long have you had it? It's been out quite some time it seems as Yukon as well so I'm curious when and what the next model would be released or step up that they have.....?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:22:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The one on the Photon is pretty good.  When I want to reach out farther I supplement it with a Streamlight SuperTac IR.  It's amazingly bright.  I've had the Photon around a year now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top