Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2017 7:33:52 PM EDT
Thinking about trying to take a hog next weekend with my Savage MKII FV-SR.  I'll be in a stand, shooting 40 yards or less.  Shot placement will either be behind the ear or b/w the eyes.  My rifle shoots both rounds accurately within this distance, and I'm confident in my ability to make the shot.  Which round would you choose?  CCI Stinger or Aguila SSS
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#1]
why ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 9:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
why ?
View Quote
Why not?  Do you think a well placed shot in either of those locations won't produce a clean kill?
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have seen the CCI Stinger  do a good job.  But I also have seen when it goes bad.

both at close range.  expect the worst and hope for the best.

it's never any fun chasing a hog  all day.

end can happen with a  22 or 458
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have seen the CCI Stinger  do a good job.  But I also have seen when it goes bad.

both at close range.  expect the worst and hope for the best.

it's never any fun chasing a hog  all day.

end can happen with a  22 or 458
View Quote
 That's definitely true
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I voted Stinger, although I'm afraid it will expand & fail to penetrate deeply enough.

I had to shoot a poor dog once three times w/ SSS, b/c I was shooting forward, not down.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why not?  Do you think a well placed shot in either of those locations won't produce a clean kill?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
why ?

its just a circus stunt, use a real caliber and have some respect for the animal.  Yes a perfect shot may work but that's not the spirit of hunting.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure either round would work if it's placed perfectly.  I doubt you'll get a perfect shot when hunting.
I never hunted hog with 22lr but did use it for coup de grace shot into the ear few times and it worked.  I used CCI Minimag 40gr solid.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
You are likely going to kill some hogs but in the end you will lose some or have to chase them down after a shot gone not quite perfect.

Then again they are not exactly prime game animals but really just vermin.

I personally would use something with a bit more punch but that would be your choice.

If you look at the published ballistics about the most off the chart 22LR round is the CCI Velocitor . Same 40 grain bullet as the mini-mag but it is going nearly as fast as the stinger. I have only shot plates and gongs with it but there is a clear amount of hammering going on.I have not hunted with it but have heard good things .

I would be afraid of the stinger not penetrating and the 60 grain just not having the energy
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not unless you want to track them.
We used to slaughter pen raised hogs with 22's. We had to place the barrel touching the hog for a sure kill. Nothing worse than chasing a wounded hog around a pen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#10]
For once I didn't vote. I don't like either choice. I like the regular rem 40 gr. solid or winchester 40 gr. solid. The aquilla subsonic loads sometimes tumble and loose penetration. The stingers are a varmint choice and are well known for fragmenting. They come apart on squirrels and hogs are far tougher than squirrels. I have killed lots of hogs in traps with a .22 pistol. I prefer a .22 mag with solids. If it were me I'd wait till the pig was between 20 and 30 yards and I would not shoot a big hog. Their skulls are sloping and sometimes bullets slide instead of penetrating. Behind the ear can be iffy at best they bleed a lot and keep on going if your shot is high. If low and you do not get a vein or artery your sol. But good luck on your quest.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:46:04 AM EDT
[#11]
40 grain Velocitor
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#12]
OP:   How did the hunt work out?    Others may benefit from the After Action Report.    Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
OP:   How did the hunt work out?    Others may benefit from the After Action Report.    Thanks.
View Quote
 The hunt is actually this weekend.  I just picked up a box of Aguila Intercepter which is a 40-grain solid traveling at about 1400 fps.  I'm going to see how these perform in my rifle tomorrow.  If they group well I'll be hunting with the Aguila, and if not, it will be CCI Stingers.  I'll post an AAR for those interested.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#14]
We used to hunt  in South Florida Hollywood/ Ft. Lauderdale just  east of  27

the guys back then that had    family land and would  anyone hunt hogs. all developments now they took the millions and moved to North Florida

trading their 30 and 40 acres for 100 and 150  acre places.  this is back in this 1970s

my point is the majority of the kids I hunted with had   Glenn Field  22's  from Sears  and they killed a lot of hogs

And we chased  not so dead hogs.  it was  not big deal than the farmers were happy with dead.

but they were just as happy with 10 dying later.  not saying that's  right  morally

but in their case it was all keep shoes on their kids feet.  they needed their crops to grow.
so yes 22 long rifle worked than and will work now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 The hunt is actually this weekend.  I just picked up a box of Aguila Intercepter which is a 40-grain solid traveling at about 1400 fps.  I'm going to see how these perform in my rifle tomorrow.  If they group well I'll be hunting with the Aguila, and if not, it will be CCI Stingers.  I'll post an AAR for those interested.
View Quote

How did it go?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 4:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
He should have been able to find  22 it's back on the shelves.

so we can't use that excuse.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:15:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Use solids and don't try for big sows/boars. You will be fine going for average to small (= good eating). I killed a lot of hogs and coyotes with a .22 when I was a kid and didn't own a bigger caliber yet
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I saw OP's hunting buddy posted a pic on Facebook:

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:28:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

https://i.imgflip.com/1lduau.jpg
View Quote

Now that is FUNNY, especially since he never came back with the promised AAR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2 I'm speechless. Do you recon beer may have influenced a poor performance?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:01:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I have had great luck with the CCI velocitors. I am using the same rifle, Savage Mark II FVSR. 4 shots 4 dead pigs. Pick up a box and try it man, you wont be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP  here, completely forgot about this post and just stumbled across it again.  My AAR is that I never saw any pigs, haven't seen any my past 2 times out I will try again soon when I have time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#23]
About 20% of the big boar skulls I've cleaned and bleached had old healed .22 bullet holes on them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I hit one with an Aguila SSS from a stand with what I felt was a good shot in just the right place... It hit the dirt then got right back up and ran off.

They (and regular 40 grainers) have worked perfect for me on trapped hogs where you can get a good shot to the top of the head, but I won't hunt them with a .22 anymore.

The only reason I even tried that was that my in-laws have a big problem with them in their yard (big yard and not in the city limits so it's legal, but they do have neighbors and it was late) and the only suppressor I had at the time was for a rimfire.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hit one with an Aguila SSS from a stand with what I felt was a good shot in just the right place... It hit the dirt then got right back up and ran off.

They (and regular 40 grainers) have worked perfect for me on trapped hogs where you can get a good shot to the top of the head, but I won't hunt them with a .22 anymore.

The only reason I even tried that was that my in-laws have a big problem with them in their yard (big yard and not in the city limits so it's legal, but they do have neighbors and it was late) and the only suppressor I had at the time was for a rimfire.
View Quote
Yeah I like the 40gr solids for trap dispatch. But I grabbed the old Remington 38gr hollow points the other night. The carnage was pretty noisy. The neighbors called the game warden but I had already texted him a picture. So he was like Spark's doing good deeds!
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 10:59:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Sausage fingers
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
About 20% of the big boar skulls I've cleaned and bleached had old healed .22 bullet holes on them.
View Quote
That's really interesting
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top