Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2017 3:00:26 PM EDT
Never been hunting before but would like to told the wife I want to go on a hog hunt this year.   I have a very nice AR I've set up 223 with a leupold mark ar 3-9,  capable of submoa.   I've got federal fusion msr 62gr sighted in.

Any advice for a rookie hog hunter?  The outfitter I looked at puts you in a blind near a feeder under 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:14:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Choose wisely.......some day hunt places are so small you could throw a rock across them.    Look for a place with at least 800 acres and year round feeders that are kept stocked.
Look for reviews from previous hunters.  

The smart bigger hogs will wait and let the dumber younger hogs get to the feeders first.......to make sure it's safe.   Wait for a few minutes and see if there is a bigger hog waiting to come out.

do a head shot.....remember one well planned shot is worth 20 bad ones.     After one head shot that kills without a lot of squealing......wait for 30 mins to see if the others come back.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Lot of hog hunting places are literally a pasture with feeders. It's like fishing in a stocked pond. They buy hogs and turn them loose in the fence, they get shot, new hogs get turned loose.

Don't shoot a monster if you want to eat it. Boars over about 100lbs smell like they spend all day pissing on themselves, the meat smells the same too.

They are really hard to judge size on, lots like bears. You will have to see a few hogs before you can judge how big one is at distance. Bring a range finder because what looks like it's a monster hog at 100 yds could be a 40lb piglet at 30.

We went to Dos Plumas in sweetwater Texas early December and had a great time.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah I'm looking to get some meat not a trophy  

This is the outfit I'm looking at going to.

Faq says gun hunters are no more than 100 yards from a feeder pigs range from 80-140lbs

West shore outfitter
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I hunted with WSO on Thursday. I was bowhunting and they set me up in a stand that was supposed to have pretty good traffic. Unfortunately, either the wind blew my scent around (it was running about 16 mph) and scared them off or the weather change kept them bedded down.

There were a number of gun hunters but there was only a single hog brought in. They said it'd been a tough morning as well (I hit the stand at 2). One of the guides said he saw 4-5 when he was going around getting folks from their stands but not a single hog crossed my path.

The guides were cool and seemed on their game. I half wish I would've stayed and done a thermal hunt but I really want to tag one with the bow first.

They have 900 acres which is very easy to access off I-4 (just a few miles off the exit to New Smyrna). I don't have any complaints and even though I wasn't successful I'll probably book another trip with them in the Spring.

I snapped a pic of the one hog. Didn't think to ask how big he was.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hunted with WSO on Thursday. I was bowhunting and they set me up in a stand that was supposed to have pretty good traffic. Unfortunately, either the wind blew my scent around (it was running about 16 mph) and scared them off or the weather change kept them bedded down.

There were a number of gun hunters but there was only a single hog brought in. They said it'd been a tough morning as well (I hit the stand at 2). One of the guides said he saw 4-5 when he was going around getting folks from their stands but not a single hog crossed my path.

The guides were cool and seemed on their game. I half wish I would've stayed and done a thermal hunt but I really want to tag one with the bow first.

They have 900 acres which is very easy to access off I-4 (just a few miles off the exit to New Smyrna). I don't have any complaints and even though I wasn't successful I'll probably book another trip with them in the Spring.
View Quote

You would recommend them even though you didnt get anything? Thursday the weather changed a pretty good amount

Guess another question I have is the AR enough  for hogs? I know may a pig has been slayen by the 223 but Should I look into a 300blk for hunting?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#6]
The place you pick can't control the animals, right? They don't guarantee a kill and I don't see how they can even guarantee an opportunity. Now, on the thermal hunt, they do, but that's it.

I don't see any problem with the 223. They use an AR-10 for their thermal hunts but if I were shooting a rifle I'd probably take my AR instead of the .308 bolt-action. The caveat to that would be what you're hunting for. If you're going after a meat hog, 223. If you're going after hogzilla I'd up the ante.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 5:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The place you pick can't control the animals, right? They don't guarantee a kill and I don't see how they can even guarantee an opportunity. Now, on the thermal hunt, they do, but that's it.

I don't see any problem with the 223. They use an AR-10 for their thermal hunts but if I were shooting a rifle I'd probably take my AR instead of the .308 bolt-action. The caveat to that would be what you're hunting for. If you're going after a meat hog, 223. If you're going after hogzilla I'd up the ante.
View Quote

.223 is fine for big ones... I'd love to get you down here... problem is my hunting is generally spur of the moment and you don't exactly live close.

" />

" />
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been wondering what you're shooting 'em with. What's your bullet of choice?

I know. I need to move closer.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've been wondering what you're shooting 'em with. What's your bullet of choice?

I know. I need to move closer.  
View Quote

LOL... too many rifles and too many loads. I've been hitting them with .308 110 TAP and 168 TAP, 6.8 SPC with Hornady 120gr SST's, but these two big guys were taken with .223 using 69gr SMK and 77gr OTM hand loads.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool. Nice selection.

I really need to knock the dust off the loading equipment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 2:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I know this guy in Florida.  He's a good guy, but I have no idea how his hunts go.

https://www.nightops.com/tactical-hog-hunting-specification-2/
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

.223 is fine for big ones... I'd love to get you down here... problem is my hunting is generally spur of the moment and you don't exactly live close.
View Quote

That AR is pretty close to the AR I used to take my first hog just about a month ago!
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very nice. Would love to go hog hunting. Trying to set something up and looking for places down in south florida to go. Dont know of anywhere except some outfits.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top