Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2016 10:51:48 AM EDT
I have an M1A Squad Scout and a Ruger Mini 30 I'm going to take. Never been hog hunting but that is what I have, thoughts on either?

Anything else needed?

First hunt and I have no idea.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good occasion to buy a new rifle. A nice AR-10 would do.

I vote for an LWRC REPR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Details about how you'll be hunting will help you decide on what gear to bring; deer blinds over feeders vs walk and stalk, daytime or nighttime etc.  Carry a pistol and take a medical kit regardless. Have fun.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Barnes copper bullets
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:51:29 PM EDT
[#4]
6.8 spc II is all you need
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Taking a .40SW Glock as pistol, pretty sure we will be walking.
Med kit is a good idea.
No time to buy a new rifle, but a great idea, wife started laughing when I suggested.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taking a .40SW Glock as pistol, pretty sure we will be walking.
Med kit is a good idea.
No time to buy a new rifle, but a great idea, wife started laughing when I suggested.
View Quote

What sights are on the Scout and Mini 30?  If you're going to be on foot you'll want something fast on target, so irons or red dot over magnification unless it's a low variable.  When on foot, most shot opportunities present themselves very suddenly, especially in thick brush and wooded areas. You may get lucky and spot a sounder out in an open field though. In that scenario, get the wind in your face and sneak quietly into the closest shooting position possible, but don't push your luck. Hogs have great hearing and sense of smell and your chance at taking one will be lost if you are too greedy. Even with suppressors and subsonic ammo, they're off to cover as soon as you make that first shot, so take good aim on that first pull of the trigger and then anticipate their drive towards cover for follow up shots. One thing overlooked a lot while on foot is the surrounding property you are on. Know what's beyond the tree line and over the hill. Walking around can place you in a situation where you are close to a property fence hidden behind cover, and there may be a house or road on the other side. In the thrill of the moment when 20 pigs go racing in all directions, your adrenaline may overrule your sense of locational awareness.  Keep good track of your buddies too. Wearing electronic earpro can come in very handy.

Looking forward to hearing your AAR. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
If walking. Lightest gun of the two. Flashlight, knife, extra loaded mag. Pistol if u want but not really necessary.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:36:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Mike...............why ain't you out hunting?    You haven't posted videos in weeks.     US fans have been missing your live action videos.   Am I going to have to post a topic about you letting us down?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#9]
awmp...............brush, open flat lands, timber, swamp,.....what?

In any case, the Mini 30 will be your best bet.   Next time take your new 6.8spc that you bought before telling the laughing no gun appreciating wife.
Semi-autos are best...........otherwise you only get one pig.   When they start bouncing and heading for cover....a semi-auto will get you one or two more------IF YOU SHOOT WELL.
A red or green dot sight or recticle works best as the action is fast and over quick.   Most shooting will be at less than 100 yards.

Leave your Glock in the car for travel protection.  You won't be going after a 400 lb boar in the thick brush.   Most will be 60 to 100 pounders.

If you have a variable scope put it on lowest setting.  

Btw...........the people taking you hunting........have they been before?   What are they telling you?

OH yeah.......be sure to dress out like a SEAL going after jihadist terrorist cell.   Otherwise the hogs will snicker and laugh at you....
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Barnes copper bullets
View Quote

What is your affiliation with Barnes?
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 5:41:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If walking. Lightest gun of the two. Flashlight, knife, extra loaded mag. Pistol if u want but not really necessary.
View Quote

This.  I never take a pistol with me anymore.  If you're unfamiliar with the area, a decent hand held GPS unit is nice so you can find your way back to camp and mark all the feeders/blinds on the property.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I would take the M1A.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you not have an AR?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 12:03:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a AR, several but wanted something bigger. (hunted with the Ruger Mini 30, love that gun) {got a 300 Blackout AR upper for Christmas}

We ended up in a stand, only saw one hog, two of us in the same stand, buddy took the shot. One hog down, 175 lb big boy. (shot him with a 270, went about a foot and dropped)

Going again tomorrow, man this is fun!
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:15:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Number 1 rule here is............................no pics = no hunt

videos get you major points
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#16]
If you have a 300BLK upper that's what I would take with some supersonic loads.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:13:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got a 300 BLK out upper, what is the best load for Hogs?

We shot one hog with a .270 and it dropped, but it was a big hog.

I have heard subsonic in 300 blackout don't have a enough punch and should go with a higher velocity.

Also curious about what bullet weight in 300?
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have heard subsonic in 300 blackout don't have a enough punch and should go with a higher velocity.

View Quote

I usually run the Barnes TTSX 110 gr. Any load in the 110-135gr range will remain supersonic for the 300BLK's acceptable range. Some of the mid weight stuff for plinking works well too, think the 147-155 gr FMJ stuff. I've killed pigs with subsonic ammo but the Supers are definitely the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The 110gr Tac-TX is the load to go with. The 125gr Ballistic Tips are ok. Both have killed hogs for me. I've shot a hog with subsonic (220gr OTM) and it killed it. I took a neck shot and the bullet grazed the shoulder blade, hit the spine, and the bullet was just under the skin on the exit side. Not terribly impressive, but it dropped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top