Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2016 4:01:56 PM EDT
So may be going on my first hunt and it will be for a hog with an outfitter (figured best way for first time).  With that said I have 3 rifles I keep skipping between as which one to use.

1) 16" 5.56 AR with red dot
2) 20" 5.56 AR with 3-9
3) 20" 308 Remington SPS Tactical

So which one should I go with and which round?  I typically hand load for each of the above but for the hunt I will go with a factory hunting round (well still tinkering loads with the 20" AR).
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I would take the .30 cal.

Unless you are a damn good shot, they will run pretty far when hit with a .223 projectile. Nothing sucks more than having to drag a hog carcass through the woods after it runs 100 yards into the deep woods.
Sure, you sacrifice a quick followup shot but most people don't get to take one anyways. The animals haul ass when they hear the first shot ring out (it isn't impossible, but for your first hunt I would suggest you really take your time rather than go in all trigger-happy).
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I would also lean toward the .30, but really, whatever you are most accurate with.  A well placed shot with a .223 will work better than a minute of barn door shot with a 458 SOCOM.
Just take your time lining up that first shot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My vote would also be for the .308……
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:21:58 PM EDT
[#4]
308 gasser if you have it, take the 16" 556 with RDS as a backup.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Alright looks like I will taking the 308.  Seems pretty unanimous lol.  Hoping to go on the hunt this weekend!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 6:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Have fun! Hog hunting is some of the best hunting in my book...

.308 FTW
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
.308 will definitely do the trick, but you shouldn't feel under gunned with either one of your 5.56 rifles either.  If you do some research into a member named Skypup, he's taken hogs over 400 pounds with a 16" 1/7 twist 5.56 SIG.  Almost all one shot kills and most never go more than 30-50 yards.  He uses mostly 75 gr. Hornady TAP and PRVI 69-75 gr. BTHPs, and while I can't argue with his results, you might try using a 60-ish grain Federal Fusion or Winchester Power Point.  Or, if you have them and your barrel will group with them, 70 gr. TSX.  I haven't shot any hogs with the 5.56, but I have shot a few deer.  And yes, before someone comments about pigs being tougher than deer, I understand that.  The point being, if you have faith in both you and your equipment's abilities, you can close the gap and stick the pill where it needs to go.  In the meantime, I would study the anatomy of a hog like you're trying to pass a finals exam, lol.  And if you're interested, look up Lone Star boars on youtube.  He has a video that might interest you on shot placement.  He tries to shoot in the middle and base of the neck instead of the ear hole or lungs/heart.  I'm going to attach a photo of the entrance wound on a doe I shot a few weeks ago (fly landed right next to the wound at the processor to give some scale of the hole).  The wound was around 1"-1.25" with a hole around the same size on the off side rib and the bullet was caught under the opposite shoulder.  Bullet used was a 64 gr. Winchester soft point out of a 20" barrel.  In the end, use whichever you're more comfortable with and good luck! Be sure to post some pictures as well!

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.308 will definitely do the trick, but you shouldn't feel under gunned with either one of your 5.56 rifles either.  If you do some research into a member named Skypup, he's taken hogs over 400 pounds with a 16" 1/7 twist 5.56 SIG.  Almost all one shot kills and most never go more than 30-50 yards.  He uses mostly 75 gr. Hornady TAP and PRVI 69-75 gr. BTHPs, and while I can't argue with his results, you might try using a 60-ish grain Federal Fusion or Winchester Power Point.  Or, if you have them and your barrel will group with them, 70 gr. TSX.  I haven't shot any hogs with the 5.56, but I have shot a few deer.  And yes, before someone comments about pigs being tougher than deer, I understand that.  The point being, if you have faith in both you and your equipment's abilities, you can close the gap and stick the pill where it needs to go.  In the meantime, I would study the anatomy of a hog like you're trying to pass a finals exam, lol.  And if you're interested, look up Lone Star boars on youtube.  He has a video that might interest you on shot placement.  He tries to shoot in the middle and base of the neck instead of the ear hole or lungs/heart.  I'm going to attach a photo of the entrance wound on a doe I shot a few weeks ago (fly landed right next to the wound at the processor to give some scale of the hole).  The wound was around 1"-1.25" with a hole around the same size on the off side rib and the bullet was caught under the opposite shoulder.  Bullet used was a 64 gr. Winchester soft point out of a 20" barrel.  In the end, use whichever you're more comfortable with and good luck! Be sure to post some pictures as well!
View Quote

Yh I've been studying the anatomy and reading a lot.  Still trying to decide between a neck shot and the vitals (although situation will also dictate).  Seem a lot prefer that neck shot as the area is still pretty large and you are going to get a DRT while the vitals they can run off some ways.  Also people are saying there is less chance of meat waste with the neck shot.  

I just bought some 62 gr hog hammer at the store for my 5.56 rifles and bought a box of 165 gr Fusion and a box of 165 gr Hornady Super Performance SST.  I feel going with the 308 being my first time is a better choice and less margin of error (but I plan on bringing all 3 to be honest in case something changes etc).  I am going to try and get to the range on Friday to test out the rounds to choose which I or rather the gun prefers as the outfitter seems to have a spot open on Saturday.  I also just put on a new stock on the 308 (the Magpul Hunter) so want to make sure everything is good.  The outfitter also has a range to site in. Oh and currently the scope on the 308 is a 4-16....not a light gun lol.

The plan, I believe, is to start the day in a stand/blind.  Then near the end of the day if no success, we will do a dog hunt.  I need to call him today to confirm all the details etc.  I'm pretty excited.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it depends on the type of hunt. If you will be hunting from a stand over a feeder or food plot, the 308 will shine. If stalking them in cover, the 16" 5.56 will shine.

Hopefully you can get the chance to do some of each, so maybe bring those two, but check with your guide about the type of hunting.

For a dog hunt, a 45 pistol would be great, but the 16" 5.56 would be a great choice.

JPK
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
That's actually what I would do...take all 3!!!  Variety is the spice of life! And that Hog Hammer uses the TSX so I think you'll be extremely pleased with it.  I didn't want you to think I was discouraging you from using the .308 either, as both the Fusion and SST's are great, just telling the other side of the story about the .223/5.56.  And, further down the line, you might do what I'm trying to do right now...save up for a 6.5 Grendel closer to the punch of the .308, with the recoil of a 5.56. There are confirmed big game kills with the Grendel out to 400 yards...not too shabby.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's actually what I would do...take all 3!!!  Variety is the spice of life! And that Hog Hammer uses the TSX so I think you'll be extremely pleased with it.  I didn't want you to think I was discouraging you from using the .308 either, as both the Fusion and SST's are great, just telling the other side of the story about the .223/5.56.  And, further down the line, you might do what I'm trying to do right now...save up for a 6.5 Grendel closer to the punch of the .308, with the recoil of a 5.56. There are confirmed big game kills with the Grendel out to 400 yards...not too shabby.
View Quote

Yh they don't have spot and stalk (that is actually my first choice lol).  Just stand and dog hunting.  I am waiting for them to get back to me on Saturday as well as a few questions revolving around the hunt.  Wanted to clarify if it was a tree stand or just a raised blind and I also assume I will be out there in the stand/blind alone.  Right now my guess is that I will do both to optimize my chances.  I'll take the 308 with me with the intention to use it for the stand.  If that doesn't work out and we go off with the dogs I will likely switch over the AR with RDS for something I would assume will be more up close and personal lol.

Funny you mention the 6.5.  I am currently building a 6.5 Creedmoor right now.  Just waiting to order a JP barrel and bolt for it as well as choosing a handguard.  However I also have a spare lower that I will look to build on and have been tossing around the ideas of doing a pistol or a 6.5 Grendel or 300 BLK etc.  I really haven't made up my mind.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#12]
300 Blackout would be great, especially if you were going suppressed, and to have a round that performs like the Grendel does out to 1000 yards, in the smaller/lighter platform of the AR15 is awesome. I don't think you could make a wrong decision among those choices. Or, as someone mentioned previously, if you want a dedicated hog hunting upper, you could go .458 SOCOM.  That joker is a sledgehammer...although I'm not sure what the max effective range would be since they tend to be moving a little slower than many of the other offerings.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think it depends on the type of hunt. If you will be hunting from a stand over a feeder or food plot, the 308 will shine. If stalking them in cover, the 16" 5.56 will shine.

Hopefully you can get the chance to do some of each, so maybe bring those two, but check with your guide about the type of hunting.

For a dog hunt, a 45 pistol would be great, but the 16" 5.56 would be a great choice.

JPK
View Quote

Yh I was also told to bring pistol as the dog handler would prefer that over an ar. Unfortunately I only have 9mm in pistol, no 45
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If hunting with dogs all u need is a good long knife. Academy has a cheap winchester bowie knife for like $15. Take a pistol for protection but 99% chance u won't need it. Pistol needs night sights. Hard to see in the dark. Nothing passes a guy off like shooting his dog.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Figured I would update with the results:

Just got the meat back from the butcher and got 2 racks of spareribs, the backstraps, 2 roasts, the tenderloins (I did not give them to him, but marinated them right after the hunt and ate them...delicious!!!) and about 10 lbs of Italian sausage!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top