Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2016 7:19:19 PM EDT
Wanted to share my experience hog hunting in Oklahoma.  It’s been awhile (at least 2-3 years) since I have been hog hunting- was East Texas.

After purchasing some high end rifles from the guys at F&D Defense, I decided to rechamber my FD308 to 6.5 Creedmoor.  In my e-mails to them I decided to ask about  hog hunting in Oklahoma.  Brian (FD) told me to come down to OK and hog hunt with his family and do some shooting.  I made the loooooong journey and met the family, got the company tour, talked shop and most importantly prepared for the hunt.  I had planned to sleep in my truck to save money on lodging, but they offered me a room in their guest house, -I couldn’t refuse!

We sighted in my newly rebarreled FD308 (now 6.5 Creedmoore) suppressed and relaxed for the night.  The next day, he called a few friends and we got the opportunity to hunt on a 6,600 acre ranch in south Oklahoma.  I think in total we drove 3 hours each way from their office to the ranch.  Each of us were dropped off at an elevated blind overlooking  feeders.  I stayed at my feeder for 2-3 hours and heard or saw nothing but the mice munching on the carpet at my feet.  At this point I was ready to call it a night.

Heard a few suppressed shot in the distance, later to find out one of his boys shot two small sized baby pigs.  The 223 had tore them up good.  One of ranch hands got me and we decided to stalk the hogs instead.  We followed their hog noises into the tall grass (looks more like bamboo), and I shot a good sized 200lb boar walking on his own.  He let out a squeal, ran under the fence into another field about a 100yds.  Turns out it was a nice heart shot.  

My second shot was on a sow, a solid shoulder shot.  Once of the shoulder was unsalvageable due to meat damage, but we managed to save the rest.  We spent half of the next day butchering the pig and we were all tired.  

Anyways, I’d like to thank the F&D family for letting me hunt with them.  I appreciate the hospitality and the opportunity.  Got to hunt suppressed for my first time!  

Myself with the Boar and Sow I shot

Total family harvest.  One of his boys shot the biggest boar of the bunch.  His other boy shot the two small hogs.

The 3 largest hogs on the trailer.  The 2 baby hogs were in the cooler

Brian working on processing the meat.

Finished smoking the ham (mesquite) when I got back.  It was a lot of work, but it tastes good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top