Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 5:21:19 PM EDT
I want to pick up on hog hunting soon. Need a rifle preferably an AR if applicable. Would a Smith and Wesson mp sport do good? Also what ammunition do you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd get something in 1:7 twist, I think the mp are 1:9.

Other than that, it's fine, but you can do better imo.

PSA CHF MIDDY premium upper, stripped lower, lower parts of choice or just buy a LBK from psa.  

Better than mp

Faster twist would be good so u can use heavier/longer bullets.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I prefer my 6.8spc for hogs and deer but the 65g Sierra is a great bullet with hand loads for .223.  Wilson Combat is the only one I know who offers a commercial load. link
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I would look at a .308 rather than a 223 but if you must go 223 stay with a 1 in 7 or 1 in 8 twist which will work with 75 gr and 77 gr bullets you need heavy bullets to punch through a tough critter like a hog if you want a clean take down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

PSA CHF MIDDY premium upper, stripped lower, lower parts of choice or just buy a LBK from psa.  

Better than mp

View Quote

Can I just get the upper and put it on my mp lower?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Me and some buddies just killed a bunch of hogs using ROTM ARs and some Hornady Full Boar 50 gr ammunition. Velocity and shot placement works good.

I killed a 250lb hog DRT with a shot to the spine behind the ear. Dropped like a rock. After seeing that, I have no doubts about hog hunting with 223 (even the lighter bullets).
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Me and some buddies just killed a bunch of hogs using ROTM ARs and some Hornady Full Boar 50 gr ammunition. Velocity and shot placement works good.

I killed a 250lb hog DRT with a shot to the spine behind the ear. Dropped like a rock. After seeing that, I have no doubts about hog hunting with 223 (even the lighter bullets).
View Quote

So are you saying there's still a chance with my sw mp sport two even though it's 1/9?
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So are you saying there's still a chance with my sw mp sport two even though it's 1/9?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO 1-9" twist rate is not an issue as it will stabilize 65gr or less hunting bullets with good accuracy.
I got a hog yesterday with Speer Gold Dot 64gr ammo out of my AR from about 50 yards and it DRT.
Shot it at the base of skull and neck joint and took out the spine and exited.  A lot of blood and bone chips on off side.
I'd say the bullet performed very well.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I prefer my 6.8spc for hogs and deer but the 65g Sierra is a great bullet with hand loads for .223.  Wilson Combat is the only one I know who offers a commercial load. link
View Quote

I wonder if it'll do good on my Smith and Wesson mp sport II.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IMHO 1-9" twist rate is not an issue as it will stabilize 65gr or less hunting bullets with good accuracy.
I got a hog yesterday with Speer Gold Dot 64gr ammo out of my AR from about 50 yards and it DRT.
Shot it at the base of skull and neck joint and took out the spine and exited.  A lot of blood and bone chips on off side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
5.56/.223 will kill hogs but shot placement is more crucial. A lot of hunters stay away from 5.56 bc they too often don't get to take the perfect shot on hogs bc of cover, constant movement, or shooting at them on the run. So if you're gonna sit in a blind and watch a. Feeder st 100 yards and u want to take a hog in the neck under the feeder, u should be fine with the 5.56. But if u want more room for error, go with a bigger caliber. Like a 6.8 upper. I like the 6.8 bc it fits on the ar platform but maintains over 1600 for at the muzzle and maintains over 1000 ft lbs of energy out to about 300 yds with a 16 inch barrel and 120 grain hornady SSTs.  1:7 twist in 5.56/.223 would be better bc it can stabilize heavier rounds. .308 would do the job great! But for the extra power u also have to carry around extra weight and size. So there's a compromise everywhere and to me 6.8 was the right compromise for my application.  If
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
5.56/.223 will kill hogs but shot placement is more crucial. A lot of hunters stay away from 5.56 bc they too often don't get to take the perfect shot on hogs bc of cover, constant movement, or shooting at them on the run. So if you're gonna sit in a blind and watch a. Feeder st 100 yards and u want to take a hog in the neck under the feeder, u should be fine with the 5.56. But if u want more room for error, go with a bigger caliber. Like a 6.8 upper. I like the 6.8 bc it fits on the ar platform but maintains over 1600 for at the muzzle and maintains over 1000 ft lbs of energy out to about 300 yds with a 16 inch barrel and 120 grain hornady SSTs.  1:7 twist in 5.56/.223 would be better bc it can stabilize heavier rounds. .308 would do the job great! But for the extra power u also have to carry around extra weight and size. So there's a compromise everywhere and to me 6.8 was the right compromise for my application.  If
View Quote

Would it work well if I pair the 6.8 upper on my sw mp sport? What 6.8 upper do you recommend?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 2:22:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking of pairing a 1/7 upper for my S&W.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#13]
any gun will work just use Barnes solid copper bullets for hogs, trust me.

6.8 is the way to go also.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a .50 Beowulf because I can't always get that perfect behind the ear shot, but can get a good heart/lung shot about every time... even if it means shooting them in the ass.

Last one I shot when completely through length-wise- 188 pounds on the hoof.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I would confirm with Smith&Wesson on the compatibilty with a 6.8 upper. Does the lower say "multi cal"? Maybe someone on here can answer that better than I. Palmetto state armory makes a good affordable upper. But if u want a nice upper, I'd suggest AR Performance, or Bison Armory. Check the subforums here and 68forums.com
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:53:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Unlike the AR10's............almost ALL the AR15's are interchangably compatible.    And there are plenty of 6.8 complete uppers around.  Just pop the take down pins and you are good to go.  A   6.8spc semi-auto is a very good workable hog gun.   Fast repeatable follow up shots.......mild recoil and outstanding accuracy with a much heavier bullet than the 223.

If you reload   90 grain Gold Dots are one good choice.   I push mine close to 3,000fps.       standard factory 115 grain bullets move out at about 2500fps.         Most hog shots will be less than 100 yards and as such faster speeds are not required, but, I like fast flat shooting bullets.    After the first shot, the hogs will get in high gear and be bouncing all over.....best to have a bigger harder hitting bullet that is easily controlled.  

The 6.8 fills the bill.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.   Pics are a good idea.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like my 6.8 for hogs. I use 110gr TSX's and they work great.

A 6.8 upper built on a standard upper receiver will work on any typical AR lower, but beware that LWRC makes a an upper and lower specifically for the 6.8 which are a bit wider, and not compatible with standard AP uppers/lowers.

My 6.8 uppers are built on standard upper receivers and swap on my lowers with 5.56 uppers no problem.

My son uses a 5.56 and the 5.56 works fine, but choose your bullets wisely. TSX, Fusions, other bullets designed for hunting larger game.

JPK
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been shooting them in the neck/ear with a 10.5" 5.56 and Federal XM193 for a while now with excellent results. That said, the heavier bullets work better, so get a 1/7 twist barrel if you need a 5.56.

6.8 SPC or 300 BLK would be better choices. I use a 5.56 because it's what I've got.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better than mp

Yeah. If you already have the mp you can use that.  Thought you meant starting with zero
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 8:33:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I sure do wish someone would do a hunting with the 223 thread and it get tacked at the top of the page. It would be handy!
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:40:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I use a .50 Beowulf because I can't always get that perfect behind the ear shot, but can get a good heart/lung shot about every time... even if it means shooting them in the ass.

Last one I shot when completely through length-wise- 188 pounds on the hoof.
View Quote

I have had success with 55gr fmj. Also have had hogs shake off the rd to the neck and 2 to the body only to find them a few days later. Also hahave had luck with an AR10.

All depends on your hunting style. I walk around ALOT and catch them slipping in the open.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I sure do wish someone would do a hunting with the 223 thread and it get tacked at the top of the page. It would be handy!
View Quote

Man that's a great idea.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Man that's a great idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man that's a great idea.

Agreed
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 5:48:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As long as the M&P is reliable I don't see any reason not to use it.  I've killed quite a few hogs with a 1/9 16" .223 Franken Gun I made from gun show parts bins.  The vast majority were shot in the center of the neck and were DRT.  55 gr FMJ, 60 - 65 gr soft points/TSX, and 68 - 69 gr Match bullets all did the trick.
Link Posted: 11/7/2016 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would confirm with Smith&Wesson on the compatibilty with a 6.8 upper.....
View Quote

nonsense

a S&W lower will work fine with a 6.8mmSPC upper.

OP will need 6.8 mags also.

....or just get something like this, and "run what you brung"...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/849583/hornady-full-boar-ammunition-223-remington-50-grain-gmx-hollow-point-lead-free-box-of-20

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 9:30:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Watch for Xmas sales.  I bought a 300 AAC blackout upper a few years ago on Black Friday sale.  I only use it to hunt so the round count is pretty low.  I sighted it in on Hog hammer from 70 to 120 yds it is about the same POI. I got a 300 lb boar that was nasty and a 45 lb piglet that smoked up real nice. I had some good luck with the TAP ammo I forget who makes it in 223.  
The "Hog Hammer" ammo has a really low flash which is really nice if you are shooting in low or no light. It is a solid copper round, not cheap, but if I do my part the hog goes down. I am not 100% familiar with the M&P but most of the point of AR's is uppers swap out.  I have no knowledge with 6.8.  I bought the 300 because it dropped in, used same BCG and magazines.
Hogs are not that hard to kill you just have to hit them, and to hit them you have to find them.
As to using a 223 there is a guy on here with SBR in 5.56/223 who eradicates hogs with junk ammo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#29]
.458Socom

http://www.tromix.com/home.html
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#30]
I take a different stance here.  You want to kill them, or stop them for pictures?   Ammo gets expensive fast if you do this much.  After 20 kills you won't bother with pics any more.  We want them dead but I don't care if they go off and die a slow painful death all alone in the world.  I have used a variety pack of weapons.  To sum it up go 308 if it's a one time hunt, limited numbers of pigs, +200 yards consistently, or you want to find every one you hit for pictures.   Go 223 cheapest fmj that is 100% reliable, wolf gold works well if you want to kill but don't care when, always close range, hunting around livestock, are trying to be cost effective with your weapon and ammo.  If consistently 3 or more pigs at a time use 223 heavy bullets, faster back on target.  I go cheap and I hunt walking with NV solo and it's never been a problem.  It seems like I average about 2 rounds an animal for each one I find and I find roughly 2/3.  That's all sizes and ranges.  Stick with 223 or 308 or you drop a lot of money fast for not a lot more.  308 m80 is cheaper than fancy heavy 223 bullets or odd calibers.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Maybe not the best for all situations, but I've had pretty good luck with .223 FMJ. Shot placement is definitely the key! Most drop in their tracks with a well placed shot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top