Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2016 10:18:18 PM EDT
I see a lot of shows where hunters tie up hogs and then take them away alive... Can someone tell me why? Why not just kill them there? Are they selling live hogs? Kill off camera ? Wtf!
Link Posted: 6/28/2016 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I think they ship them out to China.
They love them there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Some feed them out later. But most probably get released in another location or hunt area.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#3]
In some places(TX comes to mind) you can sell/give feral hogs to authorized slaughterhouses. Now if I am wrong Texans please go easy on me but that is my understanding. The reason they are tied is bc you can't sell a dead hog. In the heat they will spoil rather quickly. This is me assuming that you are watching American Hoggers.

Some people will also keep hogs to train dogs with. I'll avoid the legal hoops one has to jump rough sometimes to avoid being ticketed for transporting a live feral hog.

With all that being said, the best hog is a dead hog

Edit...Sparky, is it legal to transport and release hogs in OK? I ask out of curiosity. I know it is illegal in MS to even transport a live one without permission from Wildlife and even then it can't be released back into the wild....legally.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#4]
In Texas you have to deliver hogs a live to slaughterhouse as they are not allowed to take dead hog.
Some people take them home and feed them corn for a while before slaughtering them.
In most states it's illegal to transport live hog without a permit from state game or wildlife office.
It's illegal in all states to release live hog out to the wild.

Link Posted: 6/29/2016 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
In Texas it is illegal to hold a hog in a pen that is not approved by Tpwd. You can not transport across County lines unless taking directly to a buying station.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In some places(TX comes to mind) you can sell/give feral hogs to authorized slaughterhouses. Now if I am wrong Texans please go easy on me but that is my understanding. The reason they are tied is bc you can't sell a dead hog. In the heat they will spoil rather quickly. This is me assuming that you are watching American Hoggers.

Some people will also keep hogs to train dogs with. I'll avoid the legal hoops one has to jump rough sometimes to avoid being ticketed for transporting a live feral hog.

With all that being said, the best hog is a dead hog

Edit...Sparky, is it legal to transport and release hogs in OK? I ask out of curiosity. I know it is illegal in MS to even transport a live one without permission from Wildlife and even then it can't be released back into the wild....legally.
View Quote

It is illegal without a license to transport them to a legal location such as a Game ranch or slaughter house. And it is getting harder to get the permits.
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 1:17:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some people take them home and feed them corn for a while before slaughtering them.

View Quote
It sweetens them up real nice, plus you get to shut them down real quick while they're nice and calm.

Some say the huge adrenaline dump when they're squealing and doing double back flips on the ground affects the taste of the meat.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top