Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 7:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
At 55 and carrying a spare 20lbs I am not ninja anything and I'm not playing soldier. But I am going on night patrol! For predators or hogs.

I have found a "battle belt" or "war belt" with suspenders to be a really useful piece of gear for perator and hog hunting. I can carry just enough gear that is quick and easy to access.

A surplus radio pouch which fits a 20oz bottle of tea, water or soda as if made for it, a mag carrier for one extra mag, a medium to large pouch to stick my thermal scanner in quickly, a small pouch for spare batteries, a pouch for a 22lr suppressor if bring along my P226 with the 22lr conversion kit installed, a SERPA holster for it's retention when climbing berms, banks or fences.

I always carry a set of stand up height trigger sticks.

I usually wear a pair of jeans which are forest green, if they are in the laundry then the darkest blue jeans I have, a dark shirt if it is warm, my all rounder lightweight camo jacket if cooler, a hoody under that if it is cooler, polyester thermals if it is cold. Snake boots when hog hunting in TX, GA or FLA, hikers or Muck boots here when predator hunting. Tin of Long Cut back right pocket, ball cap if not wearing NODs.

I use NV less and less frequently, but if I use NV it is a dual PVS 14 set up with a TW helmet. More often these days, if the PVS 14s get used it is to augment my two thermal set ups and one gets mounted behind an EOTECH on 15/22 for someone to quietly pop coons, opossums, skunks or mounted with a 3x on a 5.56 with a laser for the property owner or other guests.

All rifles suppressed!

JPK

Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why use BDUs and flecktarn for the woods.........
1) I'm the jackass who gets to do special chores like fix the truck or change the tire. And I usually wind up coated in grease.
2) It's cheap and really well made.
3) I still have my Alice belt from High School. Works just fine and it's broken in.
4) Sometimes I really don't want to be seen. Especially while morel mushroom hunting.
View Quote

If you can still fit any belt from High School, you are doing MUCH better than I...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I take every chance I get to flush my gear out and make sure I'm good with it. I'll wear a chest rig while hunting deer and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why do so many hog hunters dress like SEAL going out on patrol in Mid-East?  I don't mean everybody but so many pictures I see on this and other websites.  My wife recently commented that they looks like men playing Army like kids.  You don't see pictures of many deer hunters dressed like that.  It's reminds me of me when I was 9 y/o playing Army with my neighborhood friends.
View Quote

Cuz holding NVG goggles is hard to do and shoot at the same time, so that's where a helmet comes in with the NVG mount.
Shooting 1 hog with a bolt gun will do nothing to control hog population, so semi auto rifle with 30 round mag is best.
Cheapest semi auto with 30 round mag that's effective for hog is ar-15.
When shooting at night with NVG the large fire ball is a problem as well as the sound, so a suppressor comes into play.

Using that type of kit, dressing in under wear and sandals you will still look like an operator in the sandbox in summer.
AR-15 with suppressor, helmet with NVG, and chest rig or belt rig for additional mags, no deer hunter looks like this apples and pineapples.

Best reason is type of hunting taking place (deer daylight hours only legally, hog hunting usually at night), well hog hunting with thermal and NVG is not really hunting more like extermination services

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 2:22:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
For me its the difference in species i'm hunting. During the traditional hunting season for small game and deer I look like 99% of all the other hunters out there. Camo that covers all and blinds well with surroundings. Wood stock rifle 10/22 for small game and a few loose rounds in my pocket. For deer 308 bolt action with only the rounds it can hold. During archery season i'm even more traditional than most because I use a recurve and no sights. I hunt like that for the sport. BUT HOGS?!?!?! Those I hunt for fun, meat and to help stop the damage they are doing to the farm. I use helmet mounted NV so I can ride and stalk at night. I wear a tac vest to carry knife, gloves, range finder, bug repellant, binocs, batteries, small arm, mags and ammo. All of witch have proven useful during long hunts. My rifle is a Keltech RDB 5.56 bullpup with 30 mag, red dot sight and green light. Its light weight with low recoil and that's important when you have 20 hogs running in all directions after the first shot. Its simply having the best tool for the job. There's gear for sport, and there's gear for ERADDICATION!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 2:36:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Because hogs are like ISIS and deserve the same fate.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I wont eat a muslim though
View Quote

What if she's super hot and really into foreplay?!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]

A better question would be...why would an Army guy dress up like a civilian?

They think they are in the mall or something?

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 9:16:48 AM EDT
[#11]
How else are you supposed to dress when you're on patrol for jihogs?

Quoted:
Quoted:
I wont eat a muslim though
View Quote

View Quote

Pretty sure our concept of "getting head" is quite different from that of muslims.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:49:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Because hogs are like ISIS and deserve the same fate.
View Quote

Jihadi sausage sounds so less appealing....

Besides, they're too lean to make good sausage and I'm told they have a gnarly aftertaste.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm not a hog hunter, but even I get why they have the equipment they do.

If I was a hog hunter I wouldn't need to go buy a single new firearm or piece of gear. However, to hunt deer I'd probably need several new guns to be anything close to legal.
View Quote
This.  I want to go hog hunting though, because it seems like it would be fun.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Maybe your not hunting the same hogs the rest of us are?!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#15]
That is interesting.  A friend of mine wore a kilt and used a spear to kill a huge ass wild boar.  I mean this bitch was HUGE.  A spear.  A kilt.  Go with it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is this too over the top? Also some of us are Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and other places and have, through years of war become all to familiar with the gear we are kitted up with. Call it what you want, but I have a lot of mission support gear should something arise in the field, from a gunshot wound to a hog attack to a broken leg.
View Quote

where is the promask???
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a reason they wear burkas....
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 12:17:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We dress up like real manly men doing manly things in a manly way,,,,because the big macho tattoos hurt like hell !!!
View Quote

THIS  .......  STILL  
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is this too over the top? Also some of us are Veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan and other places and have, through years of war become all to familiar with the gear we are kitted up with. Call it what you want, but I have a lot of mission support gear should something arise in the field, from a gunshot wound to a hog attack to a broken leg.
View Quote

Your suppressor cover is on backwards, but otherwise nicely done.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top