Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2016 5:17:55 PM EDT
Pigs shredded my yard again. Tore a hole in fence.

Put a wireless home security camera outback and planning to run it on motion mode tonight. Gonna get some corn and bait in front of cam so I'll know when they are back there.

These pigs are ridiculously smart. There's a corn feeder with mowed grass, but they won't leave the high grass and keep bushes and small trees as a screen between them and the house. They pass up food if the grass isn't tall enough to conceal them.

Got any good recipes to draw them in front of a camera, for smart pigs? Don't have time to sit out all night, but I can wake up to a motion alert and it's a 30 yard shot from my bedroom window.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 5:42:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Dump some jello mix packages out on the rest of your bait. The little extra smelly seemed to get the attention of some real skittish ones on a buddies property and its really cheap.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 11:16:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I use a mix of corn, beer, and cherry koolaid. I sit it out in the sun to get ripe but have in a rush before just mixed and put it out right away. Both work ok. The ripe version I use with snares because deer will not go near it.

I tried this after a friend bragged on a special hog bait powder he was using with great success. I smelled it and told him damned if it did not smell just like koolaid powder and he agreed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:33:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I'm gonna lay some out in the morning, let it sit, try tomorrow. My damn yard is trashed.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Where at in Texas?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#5]
San marcos
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
San marcos
View Quote

I'm up near Kyle and my buddies place had them coming in quite regularly there for a while.  I was surprised at how much damage they can do to a yard.  We ambushed the shit out of them a few times but they kept coming.  Sometime later a nearby rancher

trapped over 70 and they stopped showing up.  Was great fun while it lasted.  First time we got to use NVGs and IR lights and such.  Good luck man!

ETA - We threw out corn and dry jello and kool aid mix.  Seemed to work fine but they were already coming in on their own.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Soak your corn in diesel fuel...yes, diesel fuel.  They love it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the tips. They are smart fuckers.

I'm baiting with the above suggestions. Gonna keep at it for a few days and see if they keep coming back. If so then I'll be out waiting for them next week on nights.

I mowed a few shooting lanes into the high grass so I can see them and/or walk up on them without making noise.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks for the tips. They are smart fuckers.

I'm baiting with the above suggestions. Gonna keep at it for a few days and see if they keep coming back. If so then I'll be out waiting for them next week on nights.

I mowed a few shooting lanes into the high grass so I can see them and/or walk up on them without making noise.
View Quote

Keep us updated with regular sitreps!  Happy Hunting
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Soak your corn in diesel fuel...yes, diesel fuel.  They love it.
View Quote

^ yup
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I hope you get them all! Dead piggies is a good day. P.S. I didn't see nothing last night but 2 armadillos 6 coon dozen or so deer and 1 coyote. I tried to get close to the coyote and made it through the 5 little bucks they bedded and stayed quit. Well I was coming up on a dip and got between a doe and her fawns. The Huzzy snorted blew and stomped and threatened me to the point she spooked the coyote. Oh well the skeeters ate well!
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 7:33:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothing on cam yet. It's closer to house on the side of the tree line where it will still get a signal. Most of the activity is on the other side of the trees. I do have it pointed at their main trail. Deer set it off all night eating corn.

I'll need to soak it in diesel, but haven't had time yet. Pigs have definitely been back though, but staying out of sight of main house.

Went through this last year, but just fixed the fence instead. This time I feel like shooting some of them. There is a 250 acre ranch that I back up to, and they roam with impunity as they have zero pressure on them, and can enter the entire neighborhood through the long fence line.

On a side note, my next door neighbor has some feral pigs he trapped and is letting grow up to breed and eat in his very well fenced little acre. So while I'm out looking for pigs, his pigs are jumping on the fence begging for food from me. I think they are accomplices.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:15:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nothing on cam yet. It's closer to house on the side of the tree line where it will still get a signal. Most of the activity is on the other side of the trees. I do have it pointed at their main trail. Deer set it off all night eating corn.

I'll need to soak it in diesel, but haven't had time yet. Pigs have definitely been back though, but staying out of sight of main house.

Went through this last year, but just fixed the fence instead. This time I feel like shooting some of them. There is a 250 acre ranch that I back up to, and they roam with impunity as they have zero pressure on them, and can enter the entire neighborhood through the long fence line.

On a side note, my next door neighbor has some feral pigs he trapped and is letting grow up to breed and eat in his very well fenced little acre. So while I'm out looking for pigs, his pigs are jumping on the fence begging for food from me. I think they are accomplices.
View Quote

Man your situation sounds EXACTLY like my friends.  There is a giant ranch behind his neighborhood and were coming in through a hole in the fence.  They tore the shit out of everything.  We killed about 8-10 in two different ambushes before they backed off some.  He lives off 150 outside of Kyle towards Wimberly.  Not terribly far from your area.  Get some...
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Any luck tex?
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:49:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any luck tex?
View Quote

Nah working this weekend and I work nights. Be off next two nights. Get the bait sorted when home tomorrow. Wait and see what happens.

Nothing came back on camera yet, but I think it's just cause of where it's placed.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 2:52:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nah working this weekend and I work nights. Be off next two nights. Get the bait sorted when home tomorrow. Wait and see what happens.

Nothing came back on camera yet, but I think it's just cause of where it's placed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any luck tex?

Roger.  Knockin' on wood for ya man that they come in.  Decent chance for some storms though later.  We'll see
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
If I get anything I'll be updating for sure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Several folks have done well with corn in three 5 gallon pickle buckets........cherry koolaid, yeast packages and pour beer over it.  Oh yeah, if you can get fish guts, fish leftovers or shrimp...they love that even better.
Let sit in sun for several days....dig a four foot deep trench about 10' long and pour the "special sauce" in the trough,  cover and wait.
Once they find it, they will spend hours rooting this rare treat, making it possible to get more shots.  Btw, it takes a bigger hog to dig that deep.

If the porkers think it is a 24/7 Luby's buffet line.....they will show up on a schedule.  If you want to get rid of them, invite a couple of members living close and setup a cross fire kill zone.

Please keep us updated and remember.....if you don't have pics or video to share, it never happened.

Best Wishes from a fellow member hog hunter who lives just a little too far ....darnit !
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#19]
I'll post a few pics tonight of yard. Put out bait a little while ago. Went with the drilled tube of corn and mix of molasses and kool aid. Saw some fresh poop, so fresh it could have been steaming. Waiting for dark.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:20:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'll post a few pics tonight of yard. Put out bait a little while ago. Went with the drilled tube of corn and mix of molasses and kool aid. Saw some fresh poop, so fresh it could have been steaming. Waiting for dark.
View Quote

Pics will be good so we can assist in planning fields of fire and such

ETA - Good luck man!
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#21]
here are a few pics of current destruction. Pigs in the photo are the accomplices (neighbors pigs that are very well fenced and tame, it isn't them doing this). Last photo is tonight, all the others are from when I started this thread. Lots of scat back there. There is basically an acre of this shit that appeared over night. I don't use that part of the property, but hey, any excuse to try to kill pigs is a good excuse.

This happened last year and I put a game camera right by the part of the fence they were coming in, and I got one video of them coming in and looking at the cam and bolting. This is the first time they've been back. I'm in a very small neighborhood between 2 large ranches. When they moved on last time they tore the shit out of the whole neighborhood until people put pressure on. Looks like they have moved back in. Gonna try to get a few kills before they move on again.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:40:05 AM EDT
[#22]
When they hit just out of the blue like that the best thing is to do nothing but hunt . All the scouting and baiting , Just walking in the rooting introduces yourself to them, they favor your yard at certain times of year or amount of rain fall that is your bait. A camera is a maybe if it's a cellular. It's hard but stand back and hunt, all of the tricky bait stuff just warns the bigguns, by the look of the rooting that's what you have. Shoot the alpha behind the ear first or don't shoot at all ! It will be the first or the last one to come in. When the alpha is gone it might disrupt the group or at least they will be easier to pick off.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#23]
All the rooting was done in one night?  Where is your house in relation to all that?  And your property is a little thicker than I thought it would be.  Still looks like fun if they ever show up.  Also, whats your load out?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:04:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Most in one night. There's more that's popped up since those pics. I have a small lot, 3 acres. Backs up to a 250 acre ranch.

My house is 75 yards from road in front acre. I mow and use the 2nd acre. Third acre is grown up and strewn with rebar and shit that I haven't gotten to cutting out yet so it's overgrown and pretty thick. They come in the fence at the back of the property from the ranch, tear up the back, then go back into the ranch.

Using 300AAC SBR with sdn 6 and aim-point, FMJ so they'll go die elsewhere and not be my problem. Also have a scorpion sbr with octane 45 but haven't shot anything with it yet.

Ranch behind us doesn't use their land for anything but a tax break (cows). Which is totally fine not whining. But they don't kill the nuisance stuff so we get tons of pigs, coyotes, turkey, peacock, foxes, bobcats, and skunks that come through my place on a weekly basis. I like all of them but the coyote and pigs.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most in one night. There's more that's popped up since those pics. I have a small lot, 3 acres. Backs up to a 250 acre ranch.

My house is 75 yards from road in front acre. I mow and use the 2nd acre. Third acre is grown up and strewn with rebar and shit that I haven't gotten to cutting out yet so it's overgrown and pretty thick. They come in the fence at the back of the property from the ranch, tear up the back, then go back into the ranch.

Using 300AAC SBR with sdn 6 and aim-point, FMJ so they'll go die elsewhere and not be my problem. Also have a scorpion sbr with octane 45 but haven't shot anything with it yet.

Ranch behind us doesn't use their land for anything but a tax break (cows). Which is totally fine not whining. But they don't kill the nuisance stuff so we get tons of pigs, coyotes, turkey, peacock, foxes, bobcats, and skunks that come through my place on a weekly basis. I like all of them but the coyote and pigs.
View Quote

Sounds like a good setup.  Maybe tonight is the night...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Watching and rooting for you, op.  No pun intended.  Well, maybe a little intentional.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 2:02:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Still no movement?  I have some night vision stuff if you think that would help out...
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Nothing yet. May have moved on already. Nothing has come and got any bait corn except the deer. I've got Some small NV capability but thanks!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#29]
A'ight.  Guess they found better vittles elsewhere.  My bet is they'll be back when no one is ready for them.  Fargin bastages!
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Most likely. Weather is gonna be wet again for a while so we shall see. I've suddenly got a lot of time off work for a minor injury, so won't have shit to do but sit and wait for a while.
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 4:57:49 PM EDT
[#31]
It's been raining damn near every day and night for about a week now. Nothing has come back. Some raccoons kept setting off my motion camera getting the corn out of the pipe so between them and the rain I pulled my cameras in yesterday.

Went out today and sometime between the last rainfall (yesterday morning/afternoon) and now they've been back. Ground has fresh rooting, easy to tell because everything else is packed mud now and the fresh stuff is very obviously torn up and didn't get packed by the rain. Nothing disturbed the corn devices I had out, but they were all around them. Also a bunch of fresh poop again. So they were probably back last night after I last went out at midnight. Putting the cameras back out with more corn mix. Probably go sit out there late tonight and see what happens.

Been following the advice of a couple people on here and have been staying away from the area and just watching via camera. I went back far enough to see the new rooting from yesterday but didn't look for more.

Edit: I did set my corn feeder to go off at 3AM for a few seconds just to see what would happen. This is the second night it has been set that way. The dogs were all over the feeder area this morning but I didn't think about it until just now.

Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#32]
The plot thickens...
Link Posted: 6/3/2016 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Raccoons are brazen bastards. Went out and threw rocks at them the other night and watched the camera from my phone and they didn't even move. Got pissed off and walked out there with a .22, made it to 5 feet before they SLOWLY sauntered away. I'd shoot them but they aren't doing any actual harm, just getting fat on corn.

Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Good to see you are not one of those who shoots anything that moves.   Sign of a good hunter
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Good to see you are not one of those who shoots anything that moves.   Sign of a good hunter
View Quote

There's 2 coons out right now eating corn, they took off running and 5 seconds later the local fox came running through after them. I love that fucking fox.

Edit: watching all this on cam, it dinged when the coons showed up so I started watching. The only thing I shoot out back are pigs, yotes, and snakes. Deer when in season.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:04:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't try soaking the corn with diesel to stop the coons. I had a major problem with coons eating my corn in a trap so I tried diesel. Didn't phase em and after a more extensive review of the concept many others found it didn’t work for them too. If you don’t choot the coons you’ll just have to live with em.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Hpg-Trapping/i-rgzKJgc/0/XL/I__00045-XL.jpg

Don’t sit there all night waiting for the hogs to show up either. Use this $20 wireless Security Alert tool to alert you to when they are hitting your bait. Works well for me and is good for 400 feet..

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11813.jpg

Here’s the product:
http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

Best of luck!
Brian
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I actually looked at one of those.

I'm using an Arlo camera mounted in a tree. Same function, but with video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top