Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2016 7:52:17 PM EDT
My kid's favorite is hog-loaf...just like traditional meatloaf except I substitute ground beef with ground hog with 5% bacon mixed in while grounding it.  It's great as is with mashed potato or made into sandwich.

My wife and I like to roast hog backstrap wrapped cooked bacon.  I cut the backstrap open and stuff it with crispy bacon and then string it up.  I like neck meat for roasting wrapped with jalapeño peppers.  I put olive oil on the outside and then sprinkle on salt/pepper to the roast.  I cook them in a VERY HOT grill for 10-15 minutes and brown them all over and then finish them off in the 450 degree oven (15 minutes) until internal temp is 160  degrees.  Eat them while still hot or they'll get hard and stiff.

On left is bacon stuffed backstrap and on the right is halfneck and half backstrap stuffed with jalapeño peppers.

Two roast in the front and two hog meatloaf in the back.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
OP, why you make me hungry?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
10/10        
Quoted:
My kid's favorite is hog-loaf...just like traditional meatloaf except I substitute ground beef with ground hog with 5% bacon mixed in while grounding it.  It's great as is with mashed potato or made into sandwich.

My wife and I like to roast hog backstrap wrapped cooked bacon.  I cut the backstrap open and stuff it with crispy bacon and then string it up.  I like neck meat for roasting wrapped with jalapeño peppers.  I put olive oil on the outside and then sprinkle on salt/pepper to the roast.  I cook them in a VERY HOT grill for 10-15 minutes and brown them all over and then finish them off in the 450 degree oven (15 minutes) until internal temp is 160  degrees.  Eat them while still hot or they'll get hard and stiff.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/rug357/Stuff/DSCF0597.jpg
On left is bacon stuffed backstrap and on the right is halfneck and half backstrap stuffed with jalapeño peppers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/rug357/Stuff/DSCF0586.jpg
Two roast in the front and two hog meatloaf in the back.

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP, why you make me hungry?
View Quote

X2 I like a Honey Mustard glaze with lots of brown sugar and chili powder on a apple juice injected ham smoke for 6-8 hours.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:09:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Anybody have a good hog sausage recipe?
I tried couple and they came out okay but none came out good.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#6]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Anybody have a good hog sausage recipe?

I tried couple and they came out okay but none came out good.

View Quote

Mix it 50/50 with domestic pork and it will be much better.  Wild pigs don't have nearly as much fat and some people do not like the wild taste.  (I love it)

Mixing it gives it more fat and tones down the flavor.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 3:07:36 AM EDT
[#7]
What are you mixing in the sausage. Wild pork and what else? Store bought beef?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top