Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2016 8:49:40 PM EDT
I've got a 16" 1:8 .223 wylde barrel. What grain and round would yall recomend for coyotes and pigs?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Coyote, just about anything would be ok...are you trying to save the pelt?  That would likely sway your decision some...

For hogs I have changed my ideas some lately.  Anything can work but I now base what I'm going to use on what I'm doing and where I'm hunting them.  From my backdoor to my feeder (only 50yds) I have been just using 55gr FMJ because it's cheap and works with the right shot (really well actually in a lot of cases).  If I were stalking out on foot at night and might have a less controlled/closer encounter I would almost certainly use a TSX or Bonded Bullet like the 62gr Fusion.  Some folks just use the cheap stuff all the time.  They probably do a lot more hog hunting than me and are comfortable doing that.  I'm sure that works out just fine in most cases but I'll opt for having a little extra insurance and use a quality bullet for cases like that.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:51:16 AM EDT
[#2]
As mentioned, I've had good results with 62gr Fusion and XM 193 on hogs and yotes. Most of my shots are taken at less than 100 yards and usually much closer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top