Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2015 9:11:10 PM EDT
Just got back into a hunt club I was a member of in back in the early 2000's. Hogs were just starting to show up back then, but now they're everywhere. But so far, the pigs are strictly unobtanium for me. Fresh sign on every single stinkin l'il springhead/creek there is. NADA, zippo, bubkus fer yers truly, tho'. Got plenty of time in walking a good bit of ground and a Foxpro I use on song dogs-n-other varmints. The pigs devour any corn left out for deer in short order. It's 5k acres of contiguous remote hunt club bordered by water on every edge in the sandhills of NC (very Uwharrie-ish).
Momma's threatnin' a $5k "want" fund when our property sells. And I'm tryin to educate myself on the currently available options concerning NV or thermal imaging of some sort. But that's a prolly a ways off. A few years back I had a PVS-14 and a Gen2 Plus scope with one of Vic's "Torches" that worked great. But ended up selling it.  
Suggestions?  Thanks for any useful info. d:^)

ETA: Fix some left out info. Step away from the vodka.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:16:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know if this is the kind of help you meant, but here it is.

If you dig a hole or three a couple of feet deep with a post hole digger and fill it with corn, they'll keep coming back because they have to work to dig around the hole to get to the corn. That should keep them coming back for a time.

Also, I have found that hogs seem to absolutely love the scent of vanilla. I use the cheap vanilla instant pudding packages. I throw the powder on corn and on leaves and bushes and the like so the scent carries. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#2]
does it work if you bury the pudding mix (as you described with the corn)? or does the earth effect the draw of the vanilla?
Just wondered.

Thanks for the tips - they sound great

MM
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
does it work if you bury the pudding mix (as you described with the corn)? or does the earth effect the draw of the vanilla?
Just wondered.

Thanks for the tips - they sound great

MM
View Quote

Happy to help!

I have not tried it with the pudding mix in a hole with corn, but I'm sure it would be fine. I would put some above ground as well though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Not overly picky as to the type of help I get. Frankly, I'd piss on a spark plug right now if I thought it'd help. Hehehe.
FWIW. There's prolly a few places where 250ish would be doable. But more of the <100 yard gig is readily available.
Cover varies from very thick to cutover.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not overly picky as to the type of help I get. Frankly, I'd piss on a spark plug right now if I thought it'd help. Hehehe.
FWIW. There's prolly a few places where 250ish would be doable. But more of the <100 yard gig is readily available.
Cover varies from very thick to cutover.
View Quote

They can be elusive bastards, I know the frustration. They also like anything that smells sweet/fruity.

I have heard that if you put a bunch of corn in a barrel/bucket and then add a bit of water and a six pack of cheap beer, it ferments into this sour corn mash-type stuff. I've been told they like that too.
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]
One of the other guys at the club was talkin about makin that slurry. Don't believe it was tried & true, tho'. Think it was somethin he "heard" as well..
Might be a snipe hunt. Hehehe. Lemme know if ya try it and anything happens. I'll see who that was at the club.

My other hunt club is 9k acres in the Green Swamp around Shallotte, NC. And I have seen absolutely zero pig sign there.
With all the hoopla about pigs gone wild just across the border in SC I'd a thought the place'd be lousy with'em.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Tried 2 "cornholes". It rained a coupla days after. On my first check I found the hilltop hole full of water (red clay is great for that) and the river bottom road hole looked ransacked by squirrels. No more fresh pig sign in either location. Made a coupla pig pipes, but waiting till after the deer season to put those out.
Also had a l'il Piggy Pow-Wow with some of the other members who've been hunting them. They'd tried about everything I mentioned. Pig pipes, strange corn concotions, drip bags, yadda yadda. The consensus was "Yep. It worked great. Once." Seems the pigs get skittish after the first one-r-two get popped. And outside of the occasional tripping over one none have been shot from on stand inna long time. Although they do keep getting pics at no particular times and they're going thru a bunch of corn.
The place is almost 3 hours from me so it's a bit "inconvenient" to just slip by for a look-see. I get 3-4 days up there every other week or so depending on what's going on here.
To further complicate things this is a dog-hunting club so everything has been hounded for almost 2.5 months now. Although they never run pigs that anyone knows of.

On a positive note, I've seen 3 pigs and a whole buncha deer over the last week or so. But no shot opportunities.

Suggestions? d:^)
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you get some fish fillet left overs, any seafood and mix it into corn and beer with yeast and cherry jello powder.........let it sit till it stinks really bad............dig a 3 foot hole and dump it in there., cover it up.......the pigs will get it and keep coming to root as the "juices" will get into the dirt.    5 gallon plastic buckets with lids work best.          

You could also try staking carpet to trees and soaking it in diesel....they like to rub on it to keep off parasites.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks. I've noticed that every power pole up the road and on the other side of the creek from our lease has been rubbed on. There's no power on our side of the creek.

The 2 cornholes I made about a month ago went mostly ignored except by squirrels and deer. One just filled up with water and stayed that way. Checked on a coupla pig pipes I have out and the corn around them had been eaten, but the pipes themselves looked untouched or moved. Most of the tracks looked like deer. And just for a kick in the pants, there were fresh pig tracks along the road just outside of our camp. The places that were well trampled before show little, if any pig sign at all. With the only difference I can tell being the end of deer season. So dog and human traffic has trickled down to some rabbit hunters and a few of us lost hard heads out chasin these apparently not-so-stupid pigs in our little 4k acre playpin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#10]
From my experience, pigs will hit a bait site for a while and then abandon it for no perceived reason....except they found better food.  
Just keep putting bait out and they will come around to it.  Maybe invest in a feeder with a timer....get them accustomed to dinner and breakfast time.  Once they learn when the dinner bell goes off, plinking them will become easier.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#11]
They seem very nomadic. That said, there's a coupla places where they seem to stay. One in particular we call "Valley Tract" that's 10 or so year old pines that haven't been thinned yet. So it's really knarly up under and there's a coupla creeks running thru it. Got a stand site to set up in that area soon as my hunting bud with the ATV gets freed up from work.
This place has a good bit of variety in the topography. Small mountains to wide, flat river bottoms. All of it is pretty much paper company land so pines (spit) are the predominate tree type. That said, the gully's and ravines, usually with some kindof water in'em, make for lots of little hardwood enclaves. I think they travel between these to feed on the mast. Just like every other critter in the woods.
I'm thinkin as that dries up they might be a l'il more receptive to hangin around a food source that magically appears in their woods. A guy can hope, eh? d;^)
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 11:32:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Any info on these clubs and are they taking any folks from VA? I just want to hunt pigs.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#13]
They're full up right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top