Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2015 8:55:47 PM EDT
I plan to start hunting hogs this year with my 9.5" 300blk. I have been using 110gr sierra varminter's but I haven't been successful finding hogs while carrying it . I recently picked up a box of 110gr vmax's to start reloading.

Out of these 2 bullet choices, which would be better and why? I also plan on using the same bullet to hunt deer.

I know the new reaper bullet is supposed to be great, along with the barnes black tips, but I don't have either one of those on hand, and hunting season opens up next weekend. I also know shot placement is key. I plan to shoot them either in the neck or around the ear.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#1]
fed ex in some of the Barnes black tip.  The other choices are not suitable for hunting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:34:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Neither of those choices. Varmint ammo will fragment to bits before reaching the vitals on an adult hogs shoulder leaving a nasty shallow wound on a pissed off pig but vitals still in tact. That ammo would work well on smaller thinner skinned animals like foxes coyotes bobcats etc.

For hogs with hard gristle, dense bone, and tough skin, look for a bonded bullet so it will penetrate to the finals and also expand like the Barnes TTSX, federal fusion/gold dots, cor bon, accubond, hornady interlock, etc.

The hornady SSTs work great in my 6.8 (120 grains) and my 7.62x39 ar (123 grains) on hogs.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 7:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
either of those bullets in the 300blk at 300blk velocities will do fine.  the Barnes however are the go to bullet.

Link Posted: 12/7/2015 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have an Academy they stock the remington hog hammers with the Barnes TSX bullet. Should be an issue to find the but they are about $30 for 20.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 5:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you have an Academy they stock the remington hog hammers with the Barnes TSX bullet. Should be an issue to find the but they are about $30 for 20.
View Quote

I don't think this is good advice. Barnes TSX bullets need at least 2000 fps to reliably expand/perform. The TTSX will still expand down to 1800 fps. I don't know the exact ballistics, but I think a  300 aac 110 TSX is only gonna give u right around 2000 fps out of a 9.5 inch barrel. Now, hittinng dense shoulder bone on an adult hog may cause a bullet to expand that may not have expanded if it entered between two ribs and only hit lungs before exiting.

I think they sell Barnes bullets specifically for the 300 called the Tac X SBR (expands at velocities as low as 1500 fps), and Tac TX (expands down to 1300 fps).

I'd suggest the TTSX and keep the shots at or inside 50 yards. Or maybe the Tac X SBR. I don't know how much damage a 110 grain  .30 cal projectile will do on a 150 plus lb hog at or below 1500 fps.

Obviously shot placement and what the bullet hits inside the hog are variables that will affect the bullet's performance. But a center neck or base of ear shot seems to drop them (almost) regardless of caliber, velocity, bullet etc used.
I dont shoot the 300 wtf so someone with personal experience may chime in and school us.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 9:11:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Haven't had a chance to bust a pig with it yet, but the Hornady 110 VMax is an accurate, reasonably priced bullet. According to Hornady it is a "great short range hunting round" (in 300 BLK). This bullet was designed to be explosive when loaded in larger 30 cal rounds. In 300 BLK, it should be gtg. It expands down to 1600fps.

Look at the gelatin block at the link. 12" of penetration.
http://m.hornady.com/store/300-Whisper-110gr-vmax/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top